Thread: How can I play backed up DVDs on my DLNA device?

How can I play backed up DVDs on my DLNA device?

We all know - DVDs and CDs and any other physical media fails from time to time. It gets dusty, scratched, breaks and takes up space. Going from physical media to its electronic, non-physical form is a huge process, but I believe it's inevitable and the sooner we start, the better. You've spent a lot of money purchasing all those DVDs and certainly you'd be annoyed if all of a sudden they'd stop playing, right?

Well, this is where DVD back ups could save you. I'm not going into details of whether studios think it's legal or not to make backup for your personal use, let's assume it's ok in your area and you've done it

Then comes the next question - you've got your great new shiny DLNA device and you point it to your folder with your backed up DVDs only to find a bunch a strange, broken up files that may play, but pause right in the middle of the most interesting scene before they continue playing another file. This would be a scenario with a simple DLNA server, but of course KooRaRoo Media is smarter than that

KooRaRoo will automatically (yes, it does a lot on its own, so you don't have to!) recognize those DVD folders, then read information about your movie and combine the main movie into one file, without pauses, breaks or any glitches in between scenes! You will notice that when browsing through KooRaRoo's folders, there will be titles with "(main title)" appended to them. These are the main movies - just play those ones and KRR will automatically combine the whole movie into one for you.

Very handy, isn't it? And of course when you have your DVDs in KooRaRoo's library, you can quickly find them by genre, actors, studios, years and the multitude of other supported criteria. It's a lot easier than going through the hundreds of DVD boxes trying to find that special movie you want to watch right now and there is less dusting!

DVD Folders not recognized by DLNA device

I am having trouble getting this exact scenario working. I have added the DVD folders and can see them in KooRaRoo. I can even see the different titles in the DVD. When I try to play them with my Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray, it tells me there are no supported files in that folder. I have picked the device profile for a Sony BluRay supporting divx and mkv.

How should this work? KooRaRoo by default shows the video as mpeg2 which isn't supported by the BDP-S370. I have transcoding enabled for non-compatible formats, so should KooRaRoo show the DVD files as divx? Is there a way for me to edit the device profile in case it is wrong for my device? This is the main reason I downloaded KooRaRoo, so how can I get this to work?

Sony BDPs (all models) actually support MPEG2, as that's one of the "base" formats of DLNA.

The first thing is to make sure that you are in correct mode on the player (i.e. in Video mode to display video files). If you are and you are not seeing files in the folder, please enable logging in KRR by ticking the "Enable Logging" menu item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server using the toolbar and browse to that folder using your BDP. Once no files come up, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and we'll sort this out.