Thread: Any luck in speeding up transcoding rates in the newest version?

Any luck in speeding up transcoding rates in the newest version?

Hi there.

As you may recall from previous support tickets, transcoding in KooRaRoo is very slow compared to running the same command line outside of the application. I always transcode my files in advance (MKV, AC3 5.1 audio) so that they play right on my devices but it takes forever for the transcoding to finish and none of my CPU's (I have 8 on this server) are pegged. When I look at the running FFMPEG process (the command line) and copy that, then execute that command from a command prompt, the transcoding is MUCH faster and all my CPU horsepower is utilized. It would be nice if the internal KooRaRoo trancoding was able to utilize all my horsepower and not require these extra steps.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tropez,

Which version are you running? We fixed this problem in 2.4.0.

-AR

Looks like I can't update because my support JUST expired, bummer, I had been waiting for this fix for some time now.

Can you offer any details? Should the new version use all available CPU's? Are there any controls to throttle this usage as you had mentioned previously that it was a performance concern to have all CPU used up while transcoding (thus causing streaming performance problems)?

Hi Tropez,

Please send an email to support at kooraroo.com with your name and I'll issue a new license for you.
    For details: basically the previous version had a bug that consumed most of the available CPU while transcodind (and while adding new files to the database). After fixing that bug the speed of both operations increased multiple times. We don't have throttling, I believe it's not required.

-AR

Thank you for sharing your experience alback.