Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stream internet video?

Hybrid View

How to stream internet video?

While I've had good success streaming files from desktop and laptop computers to my Dish Hopper/Joey connected televisions using KRR, much of my video material is now from websites. For example, I'd like to stream Amazon Instant Video using KooRaRoo from Windows, Mac, or iOS computers to all my home televisions. For iOS devices I know there are cables one can purchase as well as Apple TV for WiFi streaming, but I'm wondering if KRR now has or will have this capability. Thanks for your help.

I'm a bit concerned here about the lack of response to this question. Perhaps this question hits a nerve. Streaming video from the internet is big, really big. Streaming files off your computer is becoming old school. But there is a void that KRR can fill: enable casting of internet streaming video to any screen on a DLNA home network. Does any product currently available perform this function?

Hello Robert,

I apologize for late response. Currently Kooraroo only supports playback of the audio streams from the internet. However we have plans to add video streams support too. Thank you

-AR

Okay, thanks for the response. I do look forward to the new features. Since I'm only familiar with adding files to my KRR server, could you please explain how to add internet audio such as Amazon music? Thank you very much.

Robert,

You will need a direct URL to audio stream to get it working in Kooraroo. Since Amazon requires sign-in, this won't work, sorry.

Anyway, I'm copy pasting the corresponding paragraph from Kooraroo manual in case you need to add other streams.

the online URL was already added previously, it will just be added to the current playlist.

At the moment only http audio streams are supported, but this will be expanded in future
    updates.

Descriptions:
    URL: Enter the full URL here - it can be a direct URL or an ASX/M3U/PLS/WPL playlist.
    Title: Enter the title of the online URL here. It may be automatically parsed from the
    playlist, if the playlist contain this information.
    Description: Add an optional description of this online URL. You can see these
    description by using the View menu. Some devices may also support showing
    descriptions for files and folders.
    MPAA Rating: Set this to limit devices where this online URL is displayed.
    After you enter or modify the online URL, press the Test URL button. It may take a
    few seconds and at the end if it succeeds, you'll see the URL and the OK button
    enabled. If for some reason it fails, you'll get an error message. Please contact support
    in case of an error, so that we can add support for more types of URLs.

Hope this helps

Wow, I didn't know about this feature. I'm having trouble, though, finding a URL that will test properly. Can you suggest one, please? I've tried the url's of various music streaming services that don't require sign in. Most won't test at all. Some, like iTunes give invalid test results.
    Last edited by Robert Grant; September 4th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Here's a URL that one of the users (phk) posted recently:

http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/rsc_de/mp3_128

-AR

Nice. This works. Although I'm not sure if it's a recorded loop or an internet radio broadcast, it casts/plays to any device on my network (TVs with Dish Hopper/Joey and iPads with AcePlayer). I like the good fidelity with no pops and very little usage of CPU on my aging PC server. This is a great initial step toward what I feel is a very big addition to KRR: internet video streaming from any service to any screen within a home network. Thanks for the work on this.

Thanks Robert. It's apparently an internet radio broadcast. For video - it's a quite challenging task, mainly because it needs to be done in tight cooperation with streaming providers. But hopefully we'll have that at some point of time.

I've since found a stream that most definitely is a live broadcast from Vermont public radio at 128k: vprclassical.streamguys.net/vprclassical128.mp3. Again I'm pleased to find that the fidelity is quite good with low CPU usage.

I've also noted that there is some transcoding going on here. Although I haven't confirmed this yet, it appears that when I stop playback, the transcoded file is stored. Pressing play then plays back the transcoded file rather than going back to the live stream. Is there a way to inhibit storing of transcoded live streams?
    Last edited by Robert Grant; September 5th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.