Thread: KRR Support for Asustor NAS 2xxte, 3xx and 6xx series

KRR Support for Asustor NAS 2xxte, 3xx and 6xx series

Asustor has launched a series of NAS devices specifically targeted as media devices. They are one of the few NAS devices that can run directly to a TV via HDMI without connecting to a computer. They can also operate as a ethernet or USB device.

I had run out of space on my older NAS, and plan to move all my media files over to my Asustor 2.04TE and prefer to use my KRR program for my media playback. Currently Asustor provides XMBC, Plex and 2 other media programs as apps. Boxee on the 6.x models.

I realise I can do this with the ethernet and my computer, however to run the media device alone with the TV is preferred.

thanks,

Hello alback,

Unfortunately Kooraroo works only on Windows PCs, i.e. it's impossible to install it on a Linux machine, which those NAS apparently are. Sorry.

-AR

Yes, I found that out over at the Asustor Forum. Why is it that XMBC, Plex, and serviio can work in Asustor when they also run in Windows?

I prefer the KRR interface over any other dlna server, but the option to using the NAS as a stand alone function is appealing. Frequent returns to the computer to ensure the KRR server is running is sometimes annoying.

BTW, as others I have issues with .avi files where KRR does not allow fast forward, rewind or start anywhere other than the beginning of these video files.

Again, thanks for your response and help.
    Last edited by alback; June 29th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.

alback,

Thank you for suggestions. XMBC, Plex, and serviio are capable of running in Linux too, as well as Windows. However Kooraroo is running as a service in Windows, it means it runs as long as the PC is on, and there shouldn't be a need to check whether it's running. Is it stopping on your machine?

For avi files - fast forward capability is a feature of the player, and not all of the players support fast forwarding through all media formats. Kooraroo doesn't do anything special in that regard - it just serves whatever the client (player) requests.

AR, re avi files...
    When you say the client player, what are you referring to - the LG Tv? The reason I ask is that if I play the same avi file using XMBC - it can fast forward or play upon where I stopped etc.....same computer, system etc.

thanks for the reply,

alb

Hi alback,

Re XBMC - interesting, looks like I'm missing something. Could you upload a sample avi file somewhere? Also please let me know which player are you using. Thank you

-AR

I prefer the KRR interface over any other dlna server, but the option to using the NAS as a stand alone function is appealing. Frequent returns to the computer to ensure the KRR server is running is sometimes annoying.????

I agree, the KRR interface is better. Also the features of dynamic lists, play counts, icons - all these things make it easier to view your media on a Smart TV. The current trend is that more people are dropping cable tv, and seeking ways to stream to our TV. To view content at our schedule.

The strength of the Asustor NAS and dlna server is its performance using your home network. No issues with photo limits, videos not playing, loss of device connections. It connects faster and stays connected. Slide shows of photos are faster, music and video selection is also fast.

It also resides on the home network, doesn't require the PC to power up. It has sleep mode, and can turn itself off at a designated time. Very pleased with mine - except the interface.

Like KRR, their development turnaround is frustrating too. They (asustor) have been slow to react to suggestions about their interface and some of the benefits we get with KRR. Updates take too long as well.

I see such an opportunity for KRR to capitalize upon its strengths and overcome its weaknesses. It has been sad to see this past years support and updates have been such a let down.

We are working to improve these issues.
    We plan a few surprises for all of our users in the weeks to come...