Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to KKR ...

The 2L link i sent you earlier has some DXD samples...http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html. Scroll midscreen and you'll see stereo DXD sources 24b@352.8kHz, stereo DFF files(DSD64) and 5.1 DXD(24b,352.8kHz) sources...
    Last edited by David; March 1st, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Great, thanks - I'll grab a DXD from there then. Just going through your issue right now, so will reply shortly via e-mail.

Dennis:

I have some good news so far:

- MP3 audio plays fine as before
    - MP4 video plays fine as before
    - 2.0CH Flac(24b/96kHz) now plays great. I hope 24b/192kHz plays fine as well, right?
    - 5.1CH Flac(24b/96kHz) now plays great. I hope 7.1CH plays ok??? Ditto for the 192k sampling rate?

Now for the bad news:

- FLV is still not functional. It starts off reading up to 25% and then either stops or locks forever at 25%.
    - WAV audio files (2.0 or MCH) do not even show up on the screen as started.
    - Metadata is still missing. Please see attached flac file that originally played so sloowly at 9min:43sec but now shows the correct 4min 23sec duration. The tags are missing/empty for album, song, author etc...

- I also noticed something puzzling and troubling to me ... my wireless network is very busy when playing media, especially large Flac files? Why should it be active at all? Doesn't KKR simply send a 'command' to the Oppo to read the files form the NAS and that's it? It seems i'm wirelessly streaming audio on my network when playing these files, which shouldn't be the case, right? I would want to keep the wireless network free for other stuff while i'm listening to music. I multi-task alot around here ...

- I didn't include log files since you have the older ones i setn with still the same problems.

- Is their a manual/document that highlights all the audio and video formats KKR is able to play, either through transconding or send direct to the Oppo?

Regards,
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

David,

Thanks for the update. Yes, all FLAC files should play fine (if they are supported by the Oppo), if not - we'll transcode those that are not supported.

- FLV is still not functional. It starts off reading up to 25% and then either stops or locks forever at 25%.
    - WAV audio files (2.0 or MCH) do not even show up on the screen as started.
    To work on the FLV and WAV issues, I'll need to send you a new device profile (via e-mail) and I'll do that shortly.

- Metadata is still missing. Please see attached flac file that originally played so sloowly at 9min:43sec but now shows the correct 4min 23sec duration. The tags are missing/empty for album, song, author etc...
    With the file that's missing metadata - can you please double-click on it in KRR to bring up its properties, then go to Transcoding tab and see if there are any entries there. If there are entries there, then most likely KRR is still sending a transcoded file, which may be missing metadata (in case it's LPCM, for example). If there are no entries, then KRR is streaming the original file and Oppo should be able to pick up metadata from it. However, it's possible that for files served over DLNA, Oppo relies on the file's description sent by the server, rather than reading metadata from the file itself. If that's the case, then we need to check whether metadata was correctly read from the file in the first place. Does KRR's GUI show correct metadata for this file?

- I also noticed something puzzling and troubling to me ... my wireless network is very busy when playing media, especially large Flac files? Why should it be active at all? Doesn't KKR simply send a 'command' to the Oppo to read the files form the NAS and that's it? It seems i'm wirelessly streaming audio on my network when playing these files, which shouldn't be the case, right? I would want to keep the wireless network free for other stuff while i'm listening to music. I multi-task alot around here ...
    Actually KRR has to read in the file and then it sends the file to the device (Oppo) - that's why you are seeing traffic there. That's just how DLNA works, so you don't just tell a device to grab a file, you have to actually send the file to it.

- Is their a manual/document that highlights all the audio and video formats KKR is able to play, either through transconding or send direct to the Oppo?
    There is no actual document on all formats KRR can pass-through or transcode, but you can get a rough idea of the support formats from this page: http://www.kooraroo.com/features.php . It's safe to say that in 95% of cases KRR can read in the file and convert it to a format that a device can play. There are some exceptions to this in a form of certain file formats that are not fully supported, but this is being improved over time. KRR uses FFmpeg libraries to process data, so anything that FFmpeg supports, KRR can support as well and actually even more.

Dennis

I've attached a few images for you. The Metadata is there if i use VLC to play the file locally AND also when i play the file direct using the Oppo 105 (see the last 2 images). This shows that the file has metadata embedded in the file.

Using KRR, the Transcoding tab is empty with no metadata in it(see its respective image). Metadata was seen(sort of?) in the General tab in the Metadata type section by selecting different attributes like artist, album etc (see first 2 images).

Anyways, it seems that metadata is supposed to be in the Transcoding tab, if i read you correctly, tho i might be wrong.

Thanks for the brief summary on how DLNA works. All this stuff is new to me to i'm having a bad case of teething problems...

KRR_General Tab_Select Type Details.jpgKRR_General Tab_Select Type.jpgKRR_Transcoding Tab.jpgMetadata_in_VLC.jpgOppo Direct_Play.JPG

I've added another one from KRR that is a screen grab of the Get File Information command of the same file. You can see that the metadata is shown in the file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

David,

I've sent an updated profile to you along with some notes via e-mail.

The Transcoding tab doesn't contain metadata - it shows whether the file has been transcoded and if it has, you have the option to save this new file somewhere or delete it from the cache. Since there's nothing there, that file was sent to the Oppo natively (without transcoding). So, metadata would still be in the file. It may be that the Oppo is relying on the server to deliver metadata to it (which it should have done). Can you please send me that FLAC file to support, so that I could test it with regards to how metadata is read from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    David,

I've sent an updated profile to you along with some notes via e-mail.

The Transcoding tab doesn't contain metadata - it shows whether the file has been transcoded and if it has, you have the option to save this new file somewhere or delete it from the cache. Since there's nothing there, that file was sent to the Oppo natively (without transcoding). So, metadata would still be in the file. It may be that the Oppo is relying on the server to deliver metadata to it (which it should have done). Can you please send me that FLAC file to support, so that I could test it with regards to how metadata is read from it?
    Here's an example i was using to test my system... http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/HD...725_01_01.flac

Dennis:

I'm willing to test out the 352kHz rate as you indicated in your earlier email to me. I sent a response last night but it bounced, so I just wanted to make sure you receive my response in this forum.

- David