Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AVC format with Sony Bravia 2012 (KDL-46HX850)

1. I'll send a log after posting this
    2. I'll send a log after posting this
    3. The volume is a little low on the PC as well. I guess I was used to another server's option of converting 5.1 to 2.0 and the sound got louder.
    4. Great news
    5. I'll send a SRT after posting this. I've tried a few other fonts. Didn't help. All (or most) fonts support a Central or Eastern European encoding, but it needs to somehow be selected. Besides DirectVobSub which comes with the CCCP codecs you can also find the dialog in the VLC player or other DLNA media server software, as an example of what I'm talking about. I'll tell you how to access it if you need.
    6. Ah yes, "Show processes from all users" wasn't enabled
    7. Great, I'll be glad to help
    8. Yes, paired with AVISynth makes sense since some codecs already have support for stereoscopic subs
    9. MPEG actually works (see above). Tell me if you need the log for MPEGTS if you decide to investigate this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    3. The volume is a little low on the PC as well. I guess I was used to another server's option of converting 5.1 to 2.0 and the sound got louder.
    We can test such an option (to increase the volume). Converting 5.1. to stereo will be done in KRR if you manually select MP3 or MP2 as the destination audio codecs, as these don't support 5.1 sound.
    5. I'll send a SRT after posting this. I've tried a few other fonts. Didn't help. All (or most) fonts support a Central or Eastern European encoding, but it needs to somehow be selected. Besides DirectVobSub which comes with the CCCP codecs you can also find the dialog in the VLC player or other DLNA media server software, as an example of what I'm talking about. I'll tell you how to access it if you need.
    We'll also test setting a charset - once I have your SRT, I'll test it here and send you a patch to try (via support).
    9. MPEG actually works (see above). Tell me if you need the log for MPEGTS if you decide to investigate this too.
    No need for logs, thanks - we'll sort it out through support as well.

Fast Forwarding and Rewinding appear to be working properly, but only up to the point where the transcoding process has reached, then seeking stops and the file pauses. Is this as intended, or a bug? Should the transcoding engine seek ahead and transcode ahead when Fast Forwarding, or does transcoding need to be done sequentially and not chunked?

Transcoding is done sequentially (since the file is being written to disk), so you can't seek past the current transcoded position.

I've sent the SRT. Windows calls this character set, "Script". You can also find a similar dialog in notepad.exe: Format -> Font menu. You'll see the Script select box there.

In the subtitle file, you can see the characters as early as line 3:

Meriži asta...
    should display on the rendered file:
    Meriți asta...

Tell me if you need my set's info to create a more accurate 2012 profile. Surely it should have some XML files describing it somewhere, like dmr.xml, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Tell me if you need my set's info to create a more accurate 2012 profile. Surely it should have some XML files describing it somewhere, like dmr.xml, etc.
    Thanks - I should have it in the logs, but if not we'll get it through that. Usually those only describe a subset of the full formats support - basically only file types that are in the DLNA spec are there, but the TV may be able to play more. We'll test it soon - your issues are not far away from being processed in the queue

The engine always chooses an MPEG2 transcoding profile by default when first playing a file. It's only when manual transcoding begins to AVC that the engine will use it from that point on, even if manual transcoding is interrupted. Next time the file plays it will choose AVC.

How do I set a default AVC transcoding profile for all files?

It depends on the original file - if the original file is h264 with a level higher than the destination video level (4.1 in the current profile), then encoding defaults to MPEG2, because it's typically faster, albeit at a higher bitrate. I think once we work out the best options for the device profile and sort out exactly what the TV plays and what it doesn't, we'll optimize encoding.

If you want to set it manually to always encode to AVCHD though, just change this:

Code:
    <Format id="mpegts_mpeg" format="mpegts" dlna="AVC_TS_HD_EU_ISO" encode="1">
    to this:

Code:
    <Format id="mpegts_mpeg" format="mpegts" dlna="AVC_TS_HD_EU_ISO" encode="1" default="1">
    in the device profile. Please don't do it before we finish testing and working through your support issues though

I will not change it yet. I've run into a bit of a problem with AVC. It processes files on my 8-core (4 physical, 4 logical, HT enabled) i7 920 machine at about 17-20 frames a second. That means that if I play the file immediately, streaming will catch up with transcoding and playing will become extremely choppy. If I pause it and play again after 5 minutes it works fine again.

So this may not necessarily be a bug. Most likely it's not. But do you have any tips on how to speed up transcoding so that it increases FPS output without sacrificing quality?
    Since the movie plays at 23.976 FPS, if ffmpeg would manage to keep a constant 25 to 27 FPS that would be a safe value.
    Setting FFmpeg process priority to high does not seem to help.

Edit: Not all movies convert at 17 FPS. The highest quality 1080p ones with Blu-ray as a source, with a lot of movement and a 5.1 level do. Must be a bitrate thing. Most convert at 23-25 which is the threshold.
    Last edited by Dude; January 17th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.