Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to use the burned-in subtitles feature

Question How to use the burned-in subtitles feature

By default your external subtitles will not be burned-in, so to enable this feature for your device please follow these steps:

1) go to Devices pane
    2) double-click on the device you wish to enable burned-in subtitles for to bring up the properties
    3) in the dialog that comes up go to the Subtitles tab
    4) tick the "Enable burned-in subtitles" box
    5) optionally set the subtitles language priority (it works in the same way as the audio language priority)
    6) set the font style, size and color to suit your device and personal preferences
    7) click OK to apply - you'll get a question regarding the fonts cache, if it hasn't been generated yet (this is done only once)

Now try playing your video with external subtitles on the device, it should now be transcoded and you'll see subtitles.

You can reload the subtitles into the database by right-clicking on one ore more files and selected Reload from disk -> Subtitles (this is useful if you change/rename subtitle files and don't to update the whole folder).

You can also use the manual Transcode feature, which will allow you to manually set a specific external subtitle file (based on the type and language).

Hello
    I can't see burned-in greek subtitles correctly (I see "?????????????") in my SONY BRAVIA KDL-40EX720.
    I tried many different fonts but my problem is not solved.
    Any suggestion?

Thank you.

Hello,

Yes, most likely the problem is with the encoding of the subs. The upcoming release 1.4.1 fixes this problem - please send an e-mail to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll send you a patch to try.

Thanx Dennis!
    It works perfect!!!

Hello,

I'm using the trial version of KooRaRoo (version 1.4.1.0) and don't seem to get this to work.
    I've double clicked on the device (a philips 40pfl8007 tv) and enabled the burned-in feature. The profile of the TV is set to the 8000-series profile for Philips tv's.

In the folder of the movie (I:\movies) I'm trying to stream I've added an .srt subtitle file with the exact same name as the movie file.
    The subtitle doesn't show up, and in KooRaRoo I don't see the subtitle file next to the MKV file.

Are there any other settings I need to enable to get this to work?

No, sounds like you've enabled everything that needs to be. Subtitles won't show up in the folder listings, but there is a way to see them (see below).

Did you add the SRT before or after adding the movie to KRR? If the latter, then you need to right-click on the file and use Reload -> Subtitles command.

Also, one way to check if your subtitles are loaded is to right-click on the video file, then select Transcode. In the dialog that comes up, see if "Burn-in external subtitles" box is enabled. If it is, then external subtitles have loaded. If it's disabled, then they haven't and there's some issue with the files or something else.

If that doesn't help, please open a support ticket via http://support.kooraroo.com and send in your SRT file, so that I could check if there's any issue with it.

Hi,

I just started using Kooraroo and I have a problem with the burned-in subtitles. All my srt files seem to be encoded in ISO-8859-1 (normal media players like GOM Player or VLC display them correctly), but when using Kooraroo to play a movie with the burned-in subs feature on my TV, some characters are not displayed right (e.g. '' is displayed as '�'). Might it be that Kooraroo opens these files as UTF-8? What would be the best solution?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    I just started using Kooraroo and I have a problem with the burned-in subtitles. All my srt files seem to be encoded in ISO-8859-1 (normal media players like GOM Player or VLC display them correctly), but when using Kooraroo to play a movie with the burned-in subs feature on my TV, some characters are not displayed right (e.g. '' is displayed as '�'). Might it be that Kooraroo opens these files as UTF-8? What would be the best solution?
    Hi,

Can you please send one of those SRT files through http://support.kooraroo.com and I'll check it here. Did you try setting the encoding charset in the subtitle properties in KooRaRoo?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I just sent an example file to support@kooraroo.com (subject: example of SRT file in ISO-8859-1 encoding). I'm sorry, I started using Kooraroo last night and I am not yet very familiar with the menus yet. How do I set the encoding charset for the subtitles? Is it in the device properties -> subtitles tab? There I can only see language priority, font, size, color, and a codification textbox which allows me to insert a number, but no encoding charset names.