Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch and auto update/add media from folders

Hybrid View

Watch and auto update/add media from folders

Hi Dennis,

Is there a way I can choose to have Kooraroo auto update a particular folder I added from drive so that the new files in the directory are present in the catalog?
    I guess this is quite a common scenario when I add a 'Downloads' folder and then have to launch Kooraroo and manually ask the folder to the updated at the moment.

Cheers,
    xineohp

Hi,

Yes, you can have KRR update the folder automatically at a certain interval - this is available under the folder/playlist properties. For frequently changing folders, it's a good idea to have a short interval (e.g. every 10-15 minutes) and then for folders that don't change often, make the interval longer or don't update at all.

Thanks, do I need to have the GUI up and running for the update to happen or is it enough to set the property once when adding the folder and then the update happens in the background (The server is running without the GUI being launched anyway?)

The GUI does not need to be running - the server will update the folders on its own. So, yes - set and forget

I'm not a programer, but don't Windows have some sort of a service that lets you know when content of certain directory changes?

Quick search found this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

As a user I preffer if new files just show up right away.

Yes, it does, but the reason this is not done at the moment is because if you have thousands of folders, watching them all in real-time would be a big memory and CPU hog (you can't watch just the root folder, you have to watch each subfolder separately). This is a planned feature though, so it will complement the current system allowing you to watch some of the folders in real-time and some to be updated at a regular interval. It's coming soon.

According to above link and this one http://www.relisoft.com/win32/watcher.html you can watch directory trees, so something like this

dwChangeHandles[1] = FindFirstChangeNotification(
    lpDrive, // directory to watch
    TRUE, // watch the subtree
    FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_DIR_NAME|FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_FIL E_NAME); // watch dir name changes, watch file name changes

would give you notifications about new directories/files in a directory tree.

Or are you saying some users add thousands of different directories to "My folders"?

Hmm, interesting - for some reason I was almost certain that FindFirstChangeNotification doesn't watch subfolders, but I think I'm proven wrong Thank you for pointing this out and I'll add this in, probably to the next version - 1.4.1 (since 1.4.0 was just released).

Some users do have hundreds of subfolders in the root, but with proper handling it should all work fine.

If you'd like to try a pre-release patch with this implemented, please send an e-mail to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll send you a patch once it's ready.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    According to above link and this one http://www.relisoft.com/win32/watcher.html you can watch directory trees, so something like this

dwChangeHandles[1] = FindFirstChangeNotification(
    lpDrive, // directory to watch
    TRUE, // watch the subtree
    FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_DIR_NAME|FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_FIL E_NAME); // watch dir name changes, watch file name changes

would give you notifications about new directories/files in a directory tree.

Or are you saying some users add thousands of different directories to "My folders"?
    It seems like a really nice solution but be aware ! These very old APIs contains several bugs, they are not as efficient, powerful and stable as kqueue under *BSD or iNotify under Linux. High level programming langages (C++, C#, Java) are especially affected, look at "FileSystemWatcher" from your favorite search engine, you will get tons of strange behaviour and bugs reported from C++ and C# classes using these API and related COM objects. By far, the better way to do such thing under Windows is to implement your own top level kernel filesystem filter driver. A new API set have been introduced to do so with W8, you should check this too (i cannot remember their name sorry), but this new API requires at least W8 of course

Dennis chosen a better way by checking for changes on a regular basis. Windows filewatches can produce very strange results depending on the filesystem filter drivers installed on the computer, because the way the system is implemented. (And because many drivers do not care about this, returning bad values)

Thanks for the information. KooRaRoo allows both now (real-time and the previous way to check at regular intervals), so it should work for all now, hopefully