Thread: Suggestions about transcoding and playlists

Suggestions about transcoding and playlists

Hi Dennis,

As you are aware since we've discussed my situation in details in a support ticket email thread, I mainly use KooRaRoo as a DMC (controller) to play music on my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver acting as a DMR (renderer). So basically I use the "PlayToDevice" feature, similar to the "PlayTo" of WindowsMediaPlayer 12. Over 95% of my 4000 songs are in .m4a format, and we discovered that that my receiver does not appear to play them natively so I now have KooRaRoo transcode them to FLAC and I'm quite happy with that. Now here are my suggestions on how KooRaRoo could be improved (you'll recall that we already discussed these briefly in emails):

1. Have the option of transcoding on-the-fly in memory only. Transcoding to FLAC is great for sound quality but is terrible for disk space. I know I can tell KooRaRoo to limit the disk space used, but the minimum is 1GB which is still considerable wasted space if all could be done in memory since transcoding is practically instantaneous. I'd rather have KooRaRoo use 35MB of memory to hold a temporary FLAC file than the same amount in permanent disk space.

2. Have the ability to "PlayToDevice" playlists. Unless I am missing something, the "PlayToDevice" feature only works for 1 song at a time. Is there a technical issue preventing KooRaRoo from playing an entire playlist to a DMR? It would be a huge improvement for me if I could just select my playlist, click "PlayToDevice", then go to my home theather room and enjoy music for an hour or more. As it is right now I have to come back to my PC and click on the next song each time.

3. Have the ability to consider .m3u files for what they are (playlists) and just play them withouth having to import them as an external playlist. All my collection is organized in folders and in each folder I put the playlist I want in a .m3u file. Since this file is just an ASCII file listing the files to play with their full path, wouldn't it be trivial for KooRaRoo to just open the .m3u and play the songs one by one? I have well over 200 .m3u files and I do not want to clutter the left side of the GUI with external playlists. I just want to browse to the folder I want, select the .m3u playlist and click "Play" or "PlayToDevice".

Please do no hesitate to correct me if I'm using the product in the wrong way and what I suggest is already possible. You already have an excellent piece of software here Dennis. Just a few more features would make it a great one.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by senam View Post
    Hi Dennis,

As you are aware since we've discussed my situation in details in a support ticket email thread, I mainly use KooRaRoo as a DMC (controller) to play music on my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver acting as a DMR (renderer). So basically I use the "PlayToDevice" feature, similar to the "PlayTo" of WindowsMediaPlayer 12. Over 95% of my 4000 songs are in .m4a format, and we discovered that that my receiver does not appear to play them natively so I now have KooRaRoo transcode them to FLAC and I'm quite happy with that. Now here are my suggestions on how KooRaRoo could be improved (you'll recall that we already discussed these briefly in emails):
    Hi!

Yes, and thank you for the suggestions!

1. Have the option of transcoding on-the-fly in memory only. Transcoding to FLAC is great for sound quality but is terrible for disk space. I know I can tell KooRaRoo to limit the disk space used, but the minimum is 1GB which is still considerable wasted space if all could be done in memory since transcoding is practically instantaneous. I'd rather have KooRaRoo use 35MB of memory to hold a temporary FLAC file than the same amount in permanent disk space.
    Good idea and it's on my to-do list now for a future update.

2. Have the ability to "PlayToDevice" playlists. Unless I am missing something, the "PlayToDevice" feature only works for 1 song at a time. Is there a technical issue preventing KooRaRoo from playing an entire playlist to a DMR? It would be a huge improvement for me if I could just select my playlist, click "PlayToDevice", then go to my home theather room and enjoy music for an hour or more. As it is right now I have to come back to my PC and click on the next song each time.
    Yes, that has been planned and it's coming soon too - I'll provide more controls over the device as well (such as pause/stop/ff/rew/etc...) and the ability to play whole playlists.

3. Have the ability to consider .m3u files for what they are (playlists) and just play them withouth having to import them as an external playlist. All my collection is organized in folders and in each folder I put the playlist I want in a .m3u file. Since this file is just an ASCII file listing the files to play with their full path, wouldn't it be trivial for KooRaRoo to just open the .m3u and play the songs one by one? I have well over 200 .m3u files and I do not want to clutter the left side of the GUI with external playlists. I just want to browse to the folder I want, select the .m3u playlist and click "Play" or "PlayToDevice".
    Would it work for you if those .m3u playlists were added in when adding the folder that contains them, populating them automatically and keeping them in the same spot as they are now in your folders? That should be easy to do and I'll add this in as well.

Thank you for the suggestions and the positive feedback! There are many things planned in KRR's future

Wow, this is great news! (about upcoming features)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Would it work for you if those .m3u playlists were added in when adding the folder that contains them, populating them automatically and keeping them in the same spot as they are now in your folders? That should be easy to do and I'll add this in as well.
    Yes, that would be an excellent solution. I would only see these playlists when I specifically look for them in the folders, and not clutter the root level of the "My Folders" pane with 200+ playlists.

Thank you again.

Ok, great - I'll try to squeeze in the new m3u processing into the next update.

Our excellent online 70-646 practice test questions with help of latest Avaya latest resource University of Advancing Technology certification dumps certification Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) paced test engine to help you pass Nova Southeastern University