Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dish Hopper/Joey device profile

Dish Hopper/Joey device profile

You posted this comment in another thread: "There is a device profile for the Dish Hopper/Joey available in a pre-release version of KRR."

Very good news indeed. Look forward to testing. In the Dish Support forum, tech support posted this information about Hopper DNLA supported formats:

"Below are the supported formats for Hopper DLNA Playback:

Images - JPEG only, all sizes (thumbnail we do use PNG)

Video - Containers MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, MKV, MP4 with combination of Video codec H264/AVC, MPEG2 and audio codec, AAC, AAC PLUS, AC3 and MPEG audio

Audio - MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC, AC3, WAV, LPCM"

Look forward to testing the profile. As far as AAC audio, only 2 channel stereo is passed, AAC 5.1 is not supported. Also, mp4 video is occasionally pixelated from what I've seen in my testing.

Thank you for the information regarding format support.

Did you have a chance to try the pre-release version I sent you? We can fine-tune and tweak it further based on your testing.

Yes I have done some preliminary testing. I was hoping that the MKV profile would remux DTS audio to AAC rather than a full conversion. Will report more later on this. Also, as noted earlier, the Hopper passes AAC 5.1 audio as AAC 2.0. So an AC3 option should be offered along with AAC in the MKV profile.

Ok, I'll add AC3 to MKV - thank you (I can send it to you via support). I'm not sure what you mean by remuxing DTS to AAC? Do you mean remuxing the file, keeping the video and converting DTS to AAC? That's what should be happening now.

Yes, please send me the patch with AC3. That should solve the audio problem. As far as remux, that function is working with H264/DTS to H264/AAC on a video I'm now watching. Unfortunately, the picture is unstable. Although mostly clean, the video suffers from frequent pixelation. Not sure if you can tweak this or not.

However, in another video with original Matroska H264/AAC5.1 coding, the conversion to H264/AAC with subtitle burn-in looks clean with no pixelation. BTW the default 12 pitch Arial white subtitle is perfect size for me. It's small but bright with black outline. Nice.

I'll send you an update through support.

If there is any pixelation during a conversion, we can fix it up, but if pixelation shows up on a remuxed file, then it's likely to be coming from the original file, since remuxing keeps the original video stream as-is. Can you please confirm whether there is pixelation in the original video and also whether the video is being converted or remuxed?

I viewed one remuxed video in nearly its entirety. Just two small instances about half way through a 2 hour video where slight pixelation occurred around the outlines of moving objects. Nothing to worry about here. I'll check some others when I have some time.

More importantly, I installed the updated device profile you provided allowing AC3 with the Matroska container. This resolved several issues. First it allows on the fly remuxing of H264/DTS or H264/AAC to H264/AC3. The remuxing is of course much faster than converting. Additionally, I'm now able to burn-in subtitles with the AC3 profile and not lose 5.1 channel audio as I reported earlier with the MPEG2/MP2 profile.

This resolves most of my concerns and leads me to believe that the KRR product is very well suited for use with the Dish Hopper/Joey media renderer.

Thanks very much for your effort, Dennis. Good show.

Thank you, Robert - I'm glad to hear of the good results you are getting with the Dish and KRR!

In further testing, I've noted that pixelation occurs with high bitrates when streaming files through to my Dish Hopper media renderer. Not sure if this is the device or the wiring on my network, but an MKV file at 6600 kbps will frequently pixelate before and after remuxing. When played directly from PC to monitor, however, the video is clean at max bitrate with no artifacts. Using the bitrate limiter on the Hopper/Joey device profile, I can fix this problem. However, this then slowly converts video rather than the faster remuxing I prefer.