Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dish Hopper/Joey device profile

It could be that the Dish can't handle high bitrates (6600 kbps is medium-to-high for h264 encoding). Is there a way to play files off a USB stick on the Dish? If there is, it may be a good idea to try that and see if that plays. That'll tell us if the player in Dish can handle this file in the first place. If it produces pixelation as well, then we know the problem.

Limiting the bitrate will trigger full transcoding, as each frame has to be re-compressed to fit within the new bitrate, so remuxing is not possible. A wireless network should handle 6-7 Mbps, if you have a strong signal and are running an N or higher network.

Well, I tried plugging in USB stick, but this step won't work with this device. Connecting external drive triggers the re format dialogue as Dish Hopper only uses USB drives for archiving stored content from satellite programming. I'm using a wired network, not sure what the intranet speed is, but I have noted some artifacts with low bit rate (2,363 kBps) H264 files as well as higher bit rate ones. Rather than limit bit rate, it seems that if I just do a full conversion rather than remux or stream, all artifacts are removed. This is not always the case, though. Some remuxed files stream perfectly well, some do not. My conclusion is that H264 level 51 high profile is fine for converted files, but with remuxed files, your mileage may vary. This is based on limited testing. The intranet speed or Hopper processing speed is probably not the issue, here. Some files just seem cleaner than others when streamed or remuxed.

Ok, if you get similar artifacts at around 2 Mbps, then network is probably not the culprit.

If you want, please send one of your files to support here (through Dropbox or another file sharing site) and I could test them on other devices to see if same artifacts are there or not. Playing on the PC may not be an accurate representation, since some software may be smoothing these out.

I'll try to send the file that's giving me the most trouble at a later time. Now that you've released the 1.7.0.0 update, I can confirm that the conversion option for AC3 audio with the MPEG2 profile does display correctly for the Dish Hopper/Joey device. I tested this profile with an external subtitle burn in option and can report that the converted file with subs streams smoothly. Bravo!

My remaining issues with KRR concern metadata and subtitling. I do not have metadata available for any of my files. When I try to retrieve online metadata from any of the four sources now available, I always receive an "Error connecting to online source!" message. Due to the connection error, changing file for search purposes to eliminate extraneous information does not help. For reference, the Mezzmo media server has retrieved metadata for all but one of these same files with no manual input.

My final issue concerns subtitling. Certain devices do not support embedded subtitles. Apple TV is one, and the Dish Hopper/Joey satellite receiver is another. I've confirmed this with tech support. However, on files with embedded subtitles the subtitle box is not greyed out on the transcode file window and I'm allowed to make a subrip(eng) selection. However, this has never worked for me because of the device limitations and should probably be greyed out in the device profile.

Also, it seems that KRR will not recognize the .sub extension for external burning in. I've renamed with the .eng.sub extension and transferred both the sub and idx file to the correct folder, but still no luck. This is the file that has a subpack folder of many subtitles for various episodes. I'll see if I can send a portion of it to you. Again, for reference, Mezzmo can burn in these subs by simply selecting the burn in option with no further manual effort.

Thank you - having the files here (at least the subtitles themselves) will allow me to check why they are not being picked up and used by KRR.

The checkbox for embedded subtitles is only applicable for manual transcoding, so these embedded subtitles won't be used during normal streaming/transcoding if your device does not support them.

With the connection issue - I'll need to see a log to know the exact error, can you please try retrieving metadata for one of the files with logging enabled and then send the log to support and I'll check.

Just to update where I am now with using KRR on the Dish Hopper/Joey satellite receiver:

1) Macroblocking does not occur with a 1080p monitor attached to the Joey auxiliary device. The issue probably lies with the 720p projector attached to the Hopper main device.

2) Changed the device profile by making matroska format default conversion preference, removed the aac audio codec from matroska and reordered the video formats to place matroska above MP4. This ensures converting with H264/AC3 codec in matroska container and avoids using MP4 whenever possible due to 2 channel stereo only AAC audio limitations of Hopper/Joey.

<Format id="mpeg2" format="mpeg" system="NTSC" dlna="MPEG_PS_NTSC" encode="1">
    <Codec id="mpeg2_ntsc" />
    <Codec id="ac3" />
    <Codec id="mp2" />"
    </Format>

<Format id="matroska" format="matroska,webm" encode="1" default="1">
    <Codec id="h264_level51high" />
    <Codec id="ac3" />

</Format>
    <Format id="h264" format="mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2" dlna="MP4" encode="0">
    <Codec id="aac" />
    </Format>
    Last edited by Robert Grant; July 14th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Thank you for the information on that profile. With encode="0" in MP4, files won't be converted to it. The "aac" codec specifies 2 channels maximum, so any file with 5.1 or higher will be converted to MKV, since it's the default one. This basically means that the order of them does not matter, because KRR will process them according to the above conditions, rather than the order.

I've updated the stock profile to reflect your changes - thanks!

Could you please explain the encode="0" a bit more? I don't quite understand it. Also, the aac tag does seem to have priority over AC3 in MKV coding with AAC 5.1 channel audio.

Here's the behavior I've seen with the stock Hopper/Joey profile without manual transcoding:

1) Mp4/aac 2.0 streams with no remuxing or transcoding.
    2) Mp4/aac 5.1 remuxes in the matroska format to H264/aac 2 channel audio.
    3) If I remove the aac line from the code in the matroska instructions, then Mp4/aac 5.1 remuxes to H264/AC3 5.1 (this is the preferred result due to Hopper/Joey audio limitations).

The desired behavior is to only allow aac to stream when it is not aac 5.1 channel audio or more. Any other way to do this?

Sure - don't hesitate to ask if anything is not clear, as it may be too clear in my head

With encode="0" it means such files are passed through natively, but this format is never remuxed or converted to. Basically it says to KRR - "if you match such a file, let it pass through" and that's it.

The MP4 definition for Dish is correct in that it limits AAC to stereo only. Anything not stereo (or not h264 in MP4) will be transcoded. I do not see how it will be remuxed to AAC stereo though in Matroska, since that's not in the device profile. Did you make further changes to the profile after your post above? Can you please post your Matroska format as you have it currently?

Thanks for that information. I'm still kinda slow on the uptake, but I'll think I'll get it eventually.

But for better understanding, I looked at the original stock profile from version 1.7 and have a question about MP4:

<Video>
    <Format id="mpeg2" format="mpeg" system="NTSC" dlna="MPEG_PS_NTSC" encode="1">
    <Codec id="mpeg2_ntsc" />
    <Codec id="ac3" />
    <Codec id="mp2" />"
    </Format>
    <Format id="h264" format="mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2" dlna="MP4" encode="0">
    <Codec id="aac" />
    </Format>
    <Format id="matroska" format="matroska,webm" encode="1">
    <Codec id="ac3" />
    <Codec id="aac" />
    </Format>
    </Video>

Using this profile, how would KRR handle an MP4 h264/aac 5.1 format (note: no default and aac codec in matroska)?