PDA

View Full Version : Comparison to other DLNA server

VinceA
September 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM
JUst wondering how KooRaRoo compares to other servers like PS3 Media Server, Mezzmo, PlayOn. Not sure but KooRaRoo seems similar in interface & features to Mezzmo, which I'm currently using.

Dennis
September 21st, 2012, 08:58 PM
KooRaRoo has a similar interface to Mezzmo because it is similar to iTunes and other media organizing software, that is - you have a tree of playlists and a list of files in one form or another. It seems to work well :)

KRR has features that Mezzmo doesn't and many more are planned. It is also faster when browsing and delivering files. KRR supports multiple audio languages in video files properly, it combines DVD disks into a movie, dynamic lists (smart playlists) are much more powerful, burned-in subtitles are coming out shortly and many other things.

I'd appreciate it if you'd give KRR a try and see how it works for you.

VinceA
September 21st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Since it's free today via Giveaway of the Day, I may just do that.

Dennis
September 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM
Yes, it's on GAOTD today, but I'd like to mention that you can also just download a fully-functional 30-day trial from our site: http://www.kooraroo.com - it's not limited and if you decide to purchase, your library from the trial will still be there for you to just continue using it.

VinceA
September 22nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Already installed and indexing my video library. Got it on a different server than my Mezzmo box so I can compare. Going to check out the multiple audio & subtitle stuff since a lot of my library is MP4s with multiple subtitle & audio tracks

Dennis
September 22nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
Great! Let me know how it goes.

bender
December 9th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I have tried PS3 Media Server, Xbox Media Center (windows 7), Windows Media Player 12 (windows 7), Twonky, Plex, Serviio, TVersity, ALL Media Server, Mezzmo, and Kooraroo.

Kooraroo and Mezzmo are the two front runners for me. With the others I had troubles with subtitles (some worked and some didn't) and some movies of the same type(e.g. x264, mkv) would show up on the media server view pane and others wouldn't.

Then the GUI of a couple wasn't that good either. Mezzmo and Kooraroo lead in this respect.

One thing I like about Kooraroo over Mezzmo is that on the PC in the computer room I can highlight a TV show or movie in the main viewing pane, then right click it, select "Play to --> PS63C7000" and it would start playing on the Samsung TV regardless of what "Input" the TV was on at the time. e.g. it might be on hdmi#1 (xbox360), hdmi#2 (PVR), TV (free to air DTV) etc. There's no need to go through the TV's DLNA input with the remote and scroll down to the file wanted to play.

This is all wirelessly. I don't have a problem streaming 1080p wirelessly on a Billion 7800N 2.4ghz modem/router.
I recently went from, loading stuff onto a USB stick from the computer and then plugging it into a Samsung USB input and playing it, to setting up a wireless network from the computer located 1 room and an entry hallway away.

It's also interesting that the two best Media Servers I have come across are developed by Aussies.

Dennis
December 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
It's also interesting that the two best Media Servers I have come across are developed by Aussies.

I'm glad you like KooRaRoo, thank you! :) There is no coincidence here, I'll be honest. I was the lead developer (and technical support) of Mezzmo while I was working there. KooRaRoo is built from the ground up based on different technology and philosophy, so it's not a duplicate or an extension of Mezzmo - it's a completely new product.