PDA

View Full Version : Alternate audio channels in video streaming

Smash
April 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Heya,

I have been using Kooraroo for a little while now and love it!

There is one thing I have found frustrating and im not sure if it is because I just haven't figured out how to do it yet or if the function simply isn't there.

Issue is that on some video files I stream there are multiple audio channels, usually different languages. Mostly this is a non issue as the 1st channel is english, but on some channel 1 isn't English and to watch the video I have to copy it to a storage device and play it from that.

Is it possible to dictate which channel Kooraroo uses when it streams a video or is the function non existing. If it doesn't exist is it possible to add a function where you can tell Kooraroo which audio channel to use when it streams a video file?

Thanx

Dennis
April 12th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I am glad that you like KooRaRoo - thank you!

You can specify your preferred languages (e.g. English) by using the Transcoding tab in the devices' properties. To do that, go to the Devices pane, double-click on your device, go to Transcoding tab and set the "Audio Stream Language Priority" there. For English, enter "eng" in there.

Smash
April 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Thanx for your reply.

Cool, now plays in English :) So... Kooraroo has to transcode the whole video file to play an alternate audio channel. That doesn't really make much sense to me but I really don't understand the ins and outs of Kooraroo just yet.

Thanx again for the assist.

Dennis
April 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
If the device does not support multiple channels, then yes, KooRaRoo has to transcode the file to take the channel with your preferred language and make it the first and only audio channel in the file. If it's already the first one, then it shouldn't transcode the file.

One way to test if your device supports multiple audio channels in files is to find a format that plays natively on the device, but has multiple audio channels, then disable transcoding (or remove the audio language preferences) and try playing that. If the device lets you switch languages, then you don't need audio language preference setting :)

Smash
April 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Well Ive played the file (9.6gb HSBS mkv 11m/s, video:h264[1920x1080] 23.98, audio: ch1-ac3 (6ch) 48000khz ger, ch2-dts (6ch) 48000khz eng) on a HDD connected to the TV (LG 55LM9600) and I can switch audio channels no problems, but while streaming from Kooraroo all those options to switch audio are greyed out. So the device is capable of switching audio channels just not during a kooraroo stream.

Another odd issue I'm having is with 2 video files that should play but don't. I get invalid file when trying to play. I've tried manually transcoding for the TV but still wont play. I'll attach the file info for both files if it helps.

Dennis
April 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM
The LG TV device profile currently in KooRaRoo specifies that the TV does not support multiple audio channels (because the models it was tested didn't support that). Perhaps you need a new profile for your model or we should re-test and modify the existing profile.

I'd be happy to work with you on that - please open a ticket through http://support.kooraroo.com and we'll try a few things.

Regarding the two files you sent information on - do they play with transcoding off or they don't play at all? Do they play if you try them from that HDD?

Smash
April 13th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I was just about to add that Kooraroo is transcoding files that it doesn't need to. I've just recently discovered that the transcode folder location was wrong and changed it. Now Kooraroo is transcoding files that played fine without transcoding. I've got LG TV selected as the profile for the device, its a new 2013 model TV, and was going to suggest that maybe it needs a new profile to suit it but you beat me to it :)

re those 2 files, they did play at some point I can't remember if it was from hdd or through windows media server as it was before I got Kooraroo. The TV has had several firmware updates which I think may be part of the problem. The files currently do not play via hdd, windows media server or kooraroo. I copied the transcode files from Kooraroos transcode folder to another location and renamed them then added them to the library and they wont play either, though they will play on the computer through Windows media player classic as will the originals.

I'll open that ticket now.

Smash
April 13th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Opened ticket #1129.

Thanx again :)

Dennis
April 13th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Ok, we'll sort it out via e-mail then :)