PDA

View Full Version : Cannot play movies with my sony internet player

acidwarp
April 5th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Hi, glad this forum is here. I set up Kooragoo, and all my files are added. Set up my sony internet player with Avia. I can see all the movies in avia, but when I try to play them it says it cannot play. Mp3's play well,
Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie into the world of home networking

Mario :)

acidwarp
April 5th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Sorry if this ends up a double post, I tried posting this problem but it never shoed up in the topics, so if it does end up a double post the moderators can delete this :)

I have a sony internet player, running avia media player and on my pc its kooragoo. Everything is setup. I can see files on my sony, play mp3's from my pc, but I cant watch videos that are on my pc. Not one file type works. Looking for a little help, Im a newbie when it comes to networking

thanks in advance :)

Mario

Dennis
April 6th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Hi Mario,

Can you please check the Devices pane and make sure that a correct device profile is set? Which model of the Sony player do you have?

acidwarp
April 6th, 2013, 12:43 AM
It is a Sony network media player with google tv, model # NSZ-GS7. I checked the devices pane and it is set to sony google tv

Dennis
April 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Ok, thanks for confirming that. When you try to play the files, are they being transcoded (this would be shown in the Status pane during playback)? If they are, do they play after they finish converting?

It will help if I can see some logs of this failure as well, so please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server using the stop/start button on the toolbar. Then try playing one of the failing files and once it fails, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com. To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

acidwarp
April 6th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Just sent the log files :)

Dennis
April 6th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Great - thanks! I'll get back to you via e-mail shortly.

Joe
April 8th, 2013, 02:47 AM
I've been a happy KooRaRoo user for less than one day, but I had a similar experience, and though I'm hardly an expert KooRaRoo user, I thought my experience might help.

I set up KooRaRoo to serve movies, music and photos to a WD TV Live and a WD TV Play.

I could see my movies on my TV via each device with KRR as the server. But when I tried to play a movie, it appeared that nothing was happening.

Then, it occurred to me that KRR might be transcoding the movies on the fly when I tried to play them. Since the movie files are very large, transcoding would take a very long time.

So, I went into the KRR Media interface and edited the WD TV profiles to disable transcoding. I didn't need transcoding because those players will play almost anything.

As expected the movies then played immediately. Maybe it's the transcoding that is making you think your player can't play the movies.

Dennis
April 8th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I've been a happy KooRaRoo user for less than one day, but I had a similar experience, and though I'm hardly an expert KooRaRoo user, I thought my experience might help.

Thanks for sharing that!

So, I went into the KRR Media interface and edited the WD TV profiles to disable transcoding. I didn't need transcoding because those players will play almost anything.

As expected the movies then played immediately. Maybe it's the transcoding that is making you think your player can't play the movies.
Actually the device profile should specify supported formats, so they should be passed through even with transcoding enabled. If they are not, then the device profile needs adjusting to make it better :)

Can you please right-click on one such movie that plays with transcoding disabled, but gets transcoded with it enabled, and post the output of the "File Information" command (or send through http://support.kooraroo.com)? Also, can you please confirm that you are using the "WD TV Live" device profile?

Joe
April 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I am using the WD TV Live profile for the WD TV Live. I recall that I had to manually set the profile to WD TV Live at some point. I don't recall whether it was before or after disabling transcoding for the WD TV Live device.

However, I decided to return the WD TV Play (I wasn't happy with it for various reasons) and removed it from my network. I had set it to use the WD TV Live profile since there wasn't one specifically for it.

I set transcoding back to enabled for the WD TV Live device to test your suggestion, and now with transcoding enabled, the files that were being transcoded are no longer being transcoded.

Perhaps, having the WD TV Play device on the network and set to use the WD TV Live profile was confusing things? Or, perhaps, I experienced the transcoding problem before setting the WD TV Live device to use the WD TV Live profile. I suspect it was the latter.

In any event, transcoding is now working as you say it should. I'm replacing the WD TV Play with another WD TV Live device.

Dennis
April 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Great! I'm glad things are working now - thank you for the explanation of what happened!