PDA

View Full Version : Is KooRaRoo dead ?

EdwinD
January 20th, 2016, 01:05 AM
It's been awile sins we have seen an update. And some important issues like KooRaRoo loosing al it settings after a Windows 10 update are not adressed. Is KooRaRoo still being worked on or de we have to look for a new DLNA server?

alback
January 25th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Sadly, it must be close to dead. KRR grew, and improved rapidly when Dennis developed the software, with virtually a new update monthly. Support was daily and often within hours of posting. I had several direct contacts from Dennis with updates and fixes to my specific issues. Now.... nothing.... except a posting here, to expect something soon. Little on the support side either.

After the software was sold about 2 years ago, everything has almost come to a full stop. The first update 2.4 was about 3 months later (by Dennis), followed 9 months later with 2.5 which had some fixes. Aside from a few posts telling us to expect more in the next couple of months, nothing and we are approaching 1 year with release 2.5.

Perhaps the purchase of KRR was intended to close it down?

What other DNLA are you considering? I use the server that comes on my Asustor NAS. It functions more effectively and consistantly than KRR, but lacks the GUI interface of KRR, has zero sorting or dynamic lists.

ar

EdwinD
January 29th, 2016, 06:53 AM
What other DNLA are you considering? I use the server that comes on my Asustor NAS. It functions more effectively and consistantly than KRR, but lacks the GUI interface of KRR, has zero sorting or dynamic lists.

I'm thinking of switching to the pro version of Serviio (http://serviio.org/features) To bad KooRaRoo isn't being maintained anymore.

alback
April 10th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Thanks, I will give it a try. How do you find it compares (to KRR)?

rward1953
April 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I found Serviio to be very tricky with a large library. It doesn't seem to like multiple NAS sources, though it works great in a limited environment.

Mezzmo works great for quite long periods of time then will inexplicably crash, taking whatever was encoded with it. The original files are not affected, but all the transcoding becomes inaccessible. I've gotten around this by backing up the database once in a while, and converting large amounts of my library to mp4, as this seems to put the least amount of stress on the server, but it still needs more development.

I tried Plex, too, but in some ways it is so flexible is it confusing. It works really well with streaming, and a friend of mine has that sorted out. Technically that is a bit beyond my scope.

Over all, I've had the best success with Mezzmo, but they all lack in different ways. They all have their merits and flaws, but they all could use some more development and design reassessment.

alback
May 11th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Tried Serviio trial, wasn't for me, although I see many who have gone over to it with positive comments. Was Dennis originally working for Mezzmo? KRR looks quite similar to their screen shots?

wein2014
June 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Just purchased Mezzmo. Development has started again, and it has had 4 updates in the past month. http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/ I have been with Kooraroo for many years, but needed an alternative. I actually think that it is now better than Kooraroo.