PDA

View Full Version : CPU usage

EdwinD
April 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Hi,
I have a problem using KooRaRoo, I Use KooRaRoo on a server which I also use with a number of other services like SMBNZB. When KooRaRoo is processing files however it doesnít play nice hogging al cpu time, preventing other processes to continue.

Worse kooraroo itself seems to process files at a very slow rate. It was literally processing for days when it was scanning my music directory. (40000 files)

It might be because Iím using a single core cpu, but as home servers are often older pcís this problem might be bothering other people to.

Is there something I can do to have KoRaRoo work better on my system. :confused:
(AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 2 GB RAM)

KRR Team
April 15th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Hello Edwin,

Thank you for your letter and sorry for this problem. We are currently working on optimizing the program so it takes less CPU and works faster. The next release will contain that fix, it's due in approximately 4-5 weeks.

kinguy99
April 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Hi
Since I updated to version 2.3.1 from 2.2.0, my PC stops everyday, It runs between 5 minutes and 24 hours. CPU usage go over 50% when I start media server and it continue to use more and more ressources. I can't wait for the next revision. I would like to downgrade to the previous version. Where can I download It, and is there a special way to do it?

Thanks

Guy

KRR Team
April 26th, 2014, 04:25 AM
Hi kinguy99,

Sorry for this problem. You can get the older version here:

http://bin.kooraroo.com/KooRaRooMedia-setup_2300.exe

Meanwhile we'll try to reproduce and fix this issue as soon as possible. Thank you

-AR

Mike
April 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
AR,

I just downloaded and installed the trial for KooRaRoo and I everything is working but I am experiencing the same thing EdwinD on my home server. The CPU is pegged at 100%. I am still waiting as I am hoping it is just indexing my music and video directories but it has been going for over 12 hours!

Is this normal?

Mike

KRR Team
April 28th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Hello Mike,

How large is your collection? For a very large collections it may take lot of time and we are currently working on optimizing it so it does that operation faster.
If it's not that big, please do the following: launch Task Manager, go to Details tab, find Kooraroo process that takes 100% CPU, right-click it and select Create Dump File. Then please zip that file, upload it somewhere and send the link to me. Afterwards you might want to kill the process and start again. Thank you

-AR

Mike
April 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM
My collection is just about half a terabyte all in (music and videos). Watching the status window it looks like it is processing the media files. What I don't know is what exactly is it doing? Is has found all of my files and now it is going through file by file.

I am going to let it finish and see what happens. Let me know if you still want a dump file. Given this process is taking 100% cpu, I'm not sure how long that will take to create the dump.

Mike

KRR Team
April 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM
It's extracting the internal information about the file to display it in the program. Please let me know if you see the progress, and if the process has finally completed. Thank you

-AR

Mike
April 29th, 2014, 03:17 PM
AR,

Things completed and the cpu utilization has gone down to a normal level. Thanks for the help and insight on this. I think we are good now.

Mike

EdwinD
April 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I've seen that behaviour to, problem is when KRR auto-updates the load goes back to 100% and other processes can't do anything for hours. (a hint from a fellow programmer, set te priority of the tread respoceble for indexing and updating files to lower than normal )

KRR Team
May 2nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Hi Edwin,

Thank you for the suggestion, yes it makes sense to lower the thread priority, and we'll do that. Also we are working on making the process faster and less CPU intensive.

-AR

Blackbear199
May 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM
hi,
Just started using KRR and its been running fine for me on win 8.1.came across this thread and check task mananger and cpu is runnin at abt 26% with no files indexing running,1 tv watching a video(no transcoding) so this seems not to bad for me.a question I do have it memory usage, since I started watching it abt 1 hr ago its climbed from 265mb to 300mb and still going up.is that normal usage?

KRR Team
May 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Hi Blackbear199 and welcome to the forum!

Normally Kooraroo shouldn't take any considerable CPU (unless it's indexing the files), so 25% seems high to me. Could you please check the Details tab in Task Manager and make sure it's Kooraroo process that takes the CPU? For memory usage - 300 MB is normal, it may go a bit up and down though.

-AR

Blackbear199
May 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
ya,it is using abt 25%.here's a few screen shots.everything is idle.runnin a I3-4000M 2.40 ghz cpu and 6gb ram.not experiencing any problems,server runnin great.thks.

KRR Team
May 11th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Thank you for the screenshots. That 25% doesn't seem normal to me, it should be close to 0 if nothing is happening. No streaming is happening at that moment, right?
Could you try to restart the server by using Stop Server/Start Server button on the toolbar? See if the CPU usage changes. Thank you

-AR

KRR Team
May 11th, 2014, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately the logs won't provide any help with CPU. If you have time could you download and run Process Explorer from Microsoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You'll need to run it as administrator. Then select KooRaRooMediaServer.exe process, right-click and choose Properties. Select Threads tab. You'll see a list of threads (please see my screenshot for example). The top one should be the one that takes the most CPU. Select it and click Stack button below. Then please send the screenshot of it to me. Thank you

-AR

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 05:06 AM
ok.here's what I got.btw keep getting the msg have to wait for moderator approval before post is shown.

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 05:21 AM
sorry.forgot to get a shot of the stack output.

KRR Team
May 11th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Thank you for the screenshot. Could you please make the Stack window bigger so the lower entries are visible too? Alternatively you can click "Copy All" button and paste the text here. Thank you

-AR

PS: no moderation will be done for your further posts.

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 10:11 AM
I thought of that after I posted the output but u cant enlarge it.

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x2246
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x108e
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0xae9
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x22a
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSetBasePriorityThread+0x4ec
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x281d
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x121a
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xb2
ntoskrnl.exe!setjmpex+0x34b3
ntdll.dll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xa
KERNELBASE.dll!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x98
sechost.dll!GetIdentityProviderInfoByGUID+0x717
sechost.dll!GetIdentityProviderInfoByGUID+0x404
sechost.dll!StartServiceCtrlDispatcherW+0x59
KooRaRooMediaServer.exe!std::_Init_locks::operator =+0x12e4c2
KooRaRooMediaServer.exe!std::_Init_locks::operator =+0x3ea
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I thought of that after I posted the output but u cant enlarge it.

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x2246
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x108e
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSetBasePriorityThread+0x4ec
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x281d
ntoskrnl.exe!KeRemoveQueueEx+0x121a
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xb2
ntoskrnl.exe!setjmpex+0x34b3
ntdll.dll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xa
KERNELBASE.dll!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x98
sechost.dll!GetIdentityProviderInfoByGUID+0x717
sechost.dll!GetIdentityProviderInfoByGUID+0x404
sechost.dll!StartServiceCtrlDispatcherW+0x59
KooRaRooMediaServer.exe!std::_Init_locks::operator =+0x12e4c2
KooRaRooMediaServer.exe!std::_Init_locks::operator =+0x3ea
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

also sometime there r usually 3 or more pids using 7-9 % cpu.the post above shows 1 pid using almost all 25% or so but if depends on when I click on image capture.info above there was multiple pids using cpu.

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 10:31 AM
sorry.think I double posted.its still being moderated.

KRR Team
May 11th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Thank you very much! I'll research this and get back.

-AR

PS. For moderation - strange, it's supposed to be turned off after your 3rd post. I'll check that too.

Blackbear199
May 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM
ok.thanks.if there's anything else I can do just ask.this post appeared without moderation btw.

KRR Team
May 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Great, thanks!

-AR