PDA

View Full Version : Cannot See Any Devices

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Hi, I just downloaded and installed KooRaRoo Media via Giveaway of the Day. It sounds like just want I needed to be able to see my media on my desktop PC on other devices. I would love to purchase the program, but I cannot get it to see any devices. Perhaps it is just some simple thing I missed in setting it up, but I spent over an hour reading the installation instructions, watching the videos, reading the manual and browsing the forum and cannot figure out what is wrong.

No problem setting up the media folders, but when I go Devices or Play to Device, there is nothing there. Among my wifi enabled devices on my home network I have the following devices: Vizio 50" Smart TV, LG Wifi Blu-Ray Player, another wifi enable desktop, wifi enabled laptop, iPad, iPod, PS3, and Acer and Toshiba Android tablets.

Unfortunately, none of these devices appear in KooRaRoo even though they are turned on and in use. So, two questions:

1. Why can't I see ANY of these devices in the program?

2. How would I access my media via KooRaRoo on this variety of devices?

Thank you for helping as I am hoping it is just a simple fix I missed.

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hi,

All those devices should appear in the Devices pane. It could be that KRR is blocked by your firewall or the IP address of the computer that has KRR on it is on a different subnet to all other devices. Can you please tell me the IP address of your computer and also the IP address of one of those devices (e.g. the TV or the BDP) and we'll proceed based on that.

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hi,

All those devices should appear in the Devices pane. It could be that KRR is blocked by your firewall or the IP address of the computer that has KRR on it is on a different subnet to all other devices. Can you please tell me the IP address of your computer and also the IP address of one of those devices (e.g. the TV or the BDP) and we'll proceed based on that.

Thank you for your prompt response, Dennis.

The computer IP Address is 71.251.133.94

The IP Address of my iPad (the device I would most like to use with this software) is 192.168.1.3

The router is 192.168.1.1

Thanks again!

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Also, I forgot to ask...I often use a VPN (not with the IP addresses above). Would that affect the usage of KooRaRoo as well?

myapps
February 6th, 2014, 09:24 AM
It is likely that the IP address you have given for your computer is your external IP address. Do you know how to bring up a command prompt on the computer? If so type in ipconfig and press enter, this should show your ip address. If not what Windows version are you running?

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Also, I forgot to ask...I often use a VPN (not with the IP addresses above). Would that affect the usage of KooRaRoo as well?

No, VPN will not affect KooRaRoo.

Thank you for your prompt response, Dennis.

The computer IP Address is 71.251.133.94

The IP Address of my iPad (the device I would most like to use with this software) is 192.168.1.3

The router is 192.168.1.1

Thanks again!

As "myapps" has mentioned, it looks like an external IP address. To bring up the command-line prompt on Windows Vista/7/8, please press the Start key on your keyboard and then type "cmd" into the search prompt that appears in the menu. After that hit the Enter key you should be in command-line mode. Then use the ipconfig command and please paste its output here.

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 10:08 AM
It is likely that the IP address you have given for your computer is your external IP address. Do you know how to bring up a command prompt on the computer? If so type in ipconfig and press enter, this should show your ip address. If not what Windows version are you running?

I ran ipconfig.

IPv4: 172.27.35.16

I am using Windows 8.1

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you for that. It looks like your PC is on a different subnet to the devices and that's why they do not see each other.

At a very basic/simple level, the IP addresses should start with the same three digits, so your PC should be 192.168.1.x or your devices need to be 172.27.35.x

I assume that you have DHCP enabled on the router and it assigned this address to the PC. Do you have mean to control the DHCP range that it assigns? Sorry, I don't know how technical are you, so if you let me know, perhaps I can guide you better. The end result should be that either your adjust the DHCP range for the wired network to be within the 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.200 or you use a static IP for the PC.

myapps
February 6th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Is your VPN disconnected when you are running KooRaRoo? Can you also do a ipconfig /all from command prompt to see if you have more than 1 ip address?

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
OK, Dennis, I am getting a little lost here. I am 66 years old and not as tech saavy as most. :) But, I will try to answer you as best I can.

I am using a modem/router my ISP provided the GT784 WN Actiontec. I am looking at the router Advanced Setup and in the LAN IP and DHCP Settings. The Gateway IP Address is 192.168.1.1. There is a Subnet Mask of 255.155.255.0 if that means anything.

The DHCP server state is set for ENABLE. The beginning IP Address is 192.168.1.2 and the ending is 192.168.1.254. The DNS Value is set for Dynamic.

Is this any helpful information?

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Yes, to make sure there wouldn't be a problem I did disconnect the VPN. I have not used it all day since I installed KooRaRoo. To be sure I ran ipconfig /all and got just the 172.27.35.16 IP address I gave previously.

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 11:26 AM
OK, Dennis, I am getting a little lost here. I am 66 years old and not as tech saavy as most. :) But, I will try to answer you as best I can.

I am using a modem/router my ISP provided the GT784 WN Actiontec. I am looking at the router Advanced Setup and in the LAN IP and DHCP Settings. The Gateway IP Address is 192.168.1.1. There is a Subnet Mask of 255.155.255.0 if that means anything.

The DHCP server state is set for ENABLE. The beginning IP Address is 192.168.1.2 and the ending is 192.168.1.254. The DNS Value is set for Dynamic.

Is this any helpful information?

Yes, the settings look correct actually...

Is your VPN disconnected when you are running KooRaRoo? Can you also do a ipconfig /all from command prompt to see if you have more than 1 ip address?

Yes, sorry, the VPN has slipped my mind. Sarisin, can you please do the "ipconfig /all" command and paste the output here?

Alternatively, please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. Then restart the GUI and the server. Then give it a minute and after that send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com. To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder. This will show me the network interface used by KRR and the IP address it's binding on.

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Yes, to make sure there wouldn't be a problem I did disconnect the VPN. I have not used it all day since I installed KooRaRoo. To be sure I ran ipconfig /all and got just the 172.27.35.16 IP address I gave previously.

Can you please try this - go to this guide: http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Changing-IP-address-and-DNS-Server-Settings-on-Windows-8, then in step 9 make sure that "Obtain IP address automatically" is selected (not like in the guide). Please let me know what settings you have there now.

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM
OK, I just sent the log. It was one .txt file.

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I confirmed the "Obtain IP address automatically" is selected.

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 11:52 AM
OK, I just sent the log. It was one .txt file.

Can you please tell me the ticket number you received?

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 11:55 AM
It is ticket number 2331

Sarisin
February 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Dennis, I really appreciate your efforts and I'm sorry if I was very good communicating my problem. I hope I can get this software to work. I have to go pick up my wife now, but if you see anything I can try, please let me know in this thread. I'll check it later. Thanks again!

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the log. It does appear that your PC is on a different subnet.

Can you please go through that guide above again, but this time follow it through and manually set your PC's IP to something not already used on your network (e.g. 192.168.1.77). Please let me know how that goes.

Wayne
February 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Hi, Having the exact same problem, just sent a ticket, #2335 then found this post :o

All the devices are set to obtain IP Address from Router, all 192.168.1.XX with XX being random from router, all firewalls have been set to allow KooRaRoo Media. KooRaRoo Media can pull files, music, videos from other connected LAN devices, but nothing can see KooRaRoo.

PC's on LAN range from Windows 7, 8.1.

PS: Did double check that the server is running.

modelt
February 6th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Dennis if I may interject. FIOS Actiontec modem/router with default setting presents a barrier for UPnP and DLNA from wired side to wireless side. The IGMP proxy setting needs to be disable in the router to get DLNA to work from wired to wireless. Usually this setting is under the advanced tab for the Actiontec router but on some revisions of the router this setting is hidden. The setting can be found by logging into router then typing the following into browser address bar--"192.168.1.1/indexcgi?active_page=6059" without quotes. This should take you to IGMP proxy setting page.

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you - I didn't know about that setting on the router (I never came across this router in my testing) and I appreciate you stepping in. I hope it helps someone!

modelt
February 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Personal experience. FIOS is Verizon company providing fiber to resident in USA. I spent four days trying to understand why I could not get any DLNA server to work across router sides. The Actiontec router is MOCA type.

Wayne
February 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Semi sorted my problem. ( thanks for the prompt reply to ticket Dennis) The problem is the firewall. If I disable it things work, exceptions were put in to allow KooRaRoo through but it still wont work unless the firewalls are disabled. Now its popping up saying cant use port Number ( sorry didn't write it down).

Dennis
February 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
KooRaRoo needs both executables: KooRaRooMedia.exe and KooRaRooMediaServer.exe to be added to the firewall exceptions on ports 1900, 2869 and 53180 (both TCP and UDP). The 53180 is configured via Tools -> Options -> Server, so it may be different. Ideally, you should just allow both of these executables to use any port.

Sarisin
February 7th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have Verizon FIOS (not available where I am). I am stuck with Verizon DSL which usually runs 1-3mps on a good day. So, I'm not sure if what was written above applies to me. I am a little reluctant to go fiddling around with modem/router settings as everything seems to be working very well except KooRaRoo.

I have to ask about the firewall exceptions mentioned above. I am using the Windows 8.1 firewall. How would I check to make sure that my firewall is correctly configured to let those two exceptions? I've never messed around with firewall settings before.

Thank you again.

Dennis
February 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Please take a look at this tutorial on how to use the firewall in Windows 8 - http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Exceptions-to-Windows-8-Firewall if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Wayne
February 7th, 2014, 07:36 AM
All sorted Thanks Dennis, Set Esets Smart Security to allow both KooRaRooMedia.exe and KooRaRooMediaServer.exe incoming / outgoing and away it went. No need to set ports.

What was strange is normally any program thats trying to gain access, even from across the LAN would trigger the prompt to allow or deny, for some reason KooRaRoo wasn't triggering, "almost" giving the impression it wasn't actually transmitting/sending.

It did prompt to allow Out from the PC that has the program, and was allowed.

Now to set the firewalls on the other devices ;)

Dennis
February 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I'm glad you sorted out - thanks for letting me know!

Sarisin
February 7th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Please take a look at this tutorial on how to use the firewall in Windows 8 - http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Exceptions-to-Windows-8-Firewall if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

OK, that tutorial made checking out my firewall settings easy. I found that there were TWO entries for KooRaRoo Media and one entry of KooRaRoo Server. All three had both the Public and Private boxes checked, I assume as allowable. They should be getting past the firewall.

Just to confirm I initiated KooRaRoo again and nothing is showing under DEVICES and PLAY TO DEVICES. The Remote Player box says "There are no items to show."

Any other suggestions I can try? Thank you.

Dennis
February 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Ok, I think I'll need to see a log from your system to dig deeper into this. Please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server using the stop/start button on the toolbar and wait for a minute or so. After that stop the server and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com . To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

Sarisin
February 8th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Er, I thought I did send you my log. Please see #14 on Feb 5.

Did you not receive it or did I send you the wrong log/file?

On that chance, I am sending again.

OK, there were five log files there dated 2/5-2/7. Some were named kooraroo media and some were kooraroo server.

I sent all five. Thank you

Sarisin
February 8th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Ticket #2363

Dennis
February 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the logs - I'll reply via support, as it's easier to keep things in one place.

joedee983
March 8th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Is there a resoultion for this issue?
I checked my IP's and tried turning off the firewall, but it still does not see any devices. There are 4 DLNA devices on my network.

My TV's see the KRR server and can access music and pictures. I can see the video files but my tv will not play mpg's

Dennis
March 8th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Is there a resoultion for this issue?
The original issue was resolved, but yours may be different.

I checked my IP's and tried turning off the firewall, but it still does not see any devices. There are 4 DLNA devices on my network.

My TV's see the KRR server and can access music and pictures. I can see the video files but my tv will not play mpg's
If your TVs see KRR server, then it's all correct. If they don't appear in the Remote Player pane, then most likely they don't support "play to" technology.

If the files do not play then most likely an incorrect device profile is chosen for your TVs. Can you please tell me the make and models of your TVs?

joedee983
March 8th, 2014, 07:21 AM
They are both Vizio, M601 and E551

thanks

Dennis
March 8th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks - please open a support ticket and I'll send you the latest pre-release version with enhancements for Vizio TVs. I'm sure we'll get things going using that.

joedee983
March 8th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Request #2513

thanks

Dennis
March 9th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Ok, I'll reply via support e-mail.

Sarisin
March 10th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Actually, this was not resolved, but not for lack of trying. Dennis and I exchanged multiple emails via Support trying to fix my problem. It came down to me contacting my ISP (Verizon) and modem manufacturer (Actiontec) to try and get my devices on the same subnet. Despite my best efforts, I was never able to get anything close to a solution to this from either Verizon or Actiontec. I was mostly ignored or given crazy responses that didn't address my simple question.
Although I could never get KRR to work for me with my current setup, I am keeping the software installed in case there are any changes - if I move in the near future for example. One thing I learned from this experience is that there is no finer software support than for KRR. I've dealt with many, many tech support shops and none came close to Dennis in both his tech knowledge (in KRR and systems in general) as well as his promptness in responding to questions, issues, etc.

I actually came close to purchasing the software (I am using the trial version) just to show my support, however as an old guy on a fixed income, I need to make sure something I purchase can actually be useful to me to justify the $$$

Thanks, Dennis, for your efforts on my behalf and all the best! John

If you can get it to work, KRR looks like excellent software and something I could really use.

Dennis
March 10th, 2014, 07:16 AM
John, thank you and I'm sorry that we didn't get things with your setup. There was another person in this thread who had a different problem and that was solved. This is the problem when multiple issues are mixed in one thread :)

Perhaps if you do another round with the ISP tech support, they'd be able to sort it out. Alternatively, we could try going through router configuration screenshots to see if we pick up anything.

modelt
March 10th, 2014, 11:59 AM
After a quick look some Verizon Actiontech DSL modems have IGMP proxy setting but some also a separate setup to enable each UPnP device. http://www.actiontec.com/products/manuals/V1000H%20User%20Manual%20NCS.pdf

Link to one type check page 62

IGMP proxy enable does effect up and down steam multicasting which in my case prevented proper multicasting of DLNA programs across wired/wireless barrier. Actiontechtech makes many styles of modems for Verizon including MOCA (most FIOS), DSL, VDSL, ONT Ethernet connected FIOS 100Mb and over.

Glad to help if I can

Great program Dennis