PDA

View Full Version : Large memory usage

Ivo
February 4th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I have only recently found KooRaRoo and have really liked how it works and how it integrates with my Panasonic TV. I have been using the excellent PS3 Media Server for many years, but KooRaRoo handles some things better then PMS when it comes to my TV so I am trying to use it all the time now.

Unfortunately I am seeing a lot of memory usage with both the KooRaRooMedia.exe and KooRaRooMediaServer.exe files, basically using more and more RAM continuously at a steady rate of about 1MB every 5-6 sec. They both start at around 10-20MB on initial launch but keep growing the RAM usage up to many GBs until I have to kill them and launch again. I have seen them go over 7GBs of RAM usage, on a system with 16GB of total RAM.

My media library within KooRaRoo is large, thousands of photos, mp3s and videos, but it is no longer scanning and adding new content and not transcoding or doing any other work while the RAM usage is increasing. CPU usage is 0% on both processes, and I am not actually using the server to stream to any device while the RAM is constantly increasing.

I am using KooRaRoo x64 2.3.0.0 on 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

Is this normal for KooRaRoo, or is something going wrong on my system?

Thanks

Dennis
February 4th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Hello,

No, it's certainly not normal for RAM usage to grow.

Please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the GUI and the server and let them run for a few minutes (so that RAM usage begins to increase). After that stop the server, shut down the GUI and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com. This will give us a starting point to work out the issue.

To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

Ivo
February 4th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have sent an email with my logs, and having looked through them I see lots of mentions of a corrupt database.

I have fully uninstalled KooRaRoo and re-installed it to start fresh. Now the memory usage is very good, staying solidly at 11-12 MB for MediaServer and 28-30 MB for Media. I am now re-adding my content to the database and so far it all seems to be working perfectly :)

Dennis
February 4th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Thank you for the logs.

Yes, a DB from another version (that wasn't updated correctly) can cause this. It's quite rare, but certainly being software, things can go wrong at times.

Did you copy/restore database files at any point?

Ivo
February 4th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Yes I initially tried to copy/paste the database from my old PC to my new one, to save time building the database from scratch, but I noticed it wasn't being seen within KooRaRoo properly so I deleted it. I guess I managed to mix up some files when doing that.

New fresh install is doing well and I'm re-adding content to the database as we speak.

Dennis
February 4th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Ah, ok - when you copy DBs you need to be careful to make sure that (a) the GUI and the server are shut down and (b) that all temporary files (up to 6 of them) are being copied as well. If one of those files isn't copied, that would lead to DB corruption.