PDA

View Full Version : Setting default or overriding sort method for photos and videos in folder properties

Thomas
December 29th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Hi.

When browsing photos and videos I sometimes have "problems" with the order of the images not being the way I want. I don't think the TV I'm using specifies a sort order. I guess the default sort order is by "Date Taken", "Created" or "Last Modified" and that KooRaRoo is falling back to the default.

It would be nice if it were possible to specify the default and possibly overriding the sort order requested by the device on a per folder basis. Don't forget to make "By filename" one of the options :D

Dennis
December 29th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Hi,

You can set the sort order in folder properties (right-click on a folder in the tree and use Properties). However, if a device specifies a certain sort order, that'll take precedence. Not many device specify order preference though, so in most cases what KRR sends is what you'll see. We can check the logs and see if your TV is asking for a certain sort order.

Thomas
December 29th, 2013, 11:07 AM
It seems it is possible to do what you are saying on a "Playlist" under properties, but not on folders. It would be great if it were possible to sort on a per folder basis.

There is also no way to sort by meta data like "date taken", "date created" or "date modified". For photos, I think ordering by "date taken" is the most useful sort order.

Dennis
December 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Yes, disk folders are sorted by file name at the moment. I'm happy to extend this. Thank you for the suggestion about sorting by more metadata - are there any others that you would find useful, so that I could implement them all?

Thomas
December 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Only meta tag I can think of that is relevant when sorting photos is Date Taken (Exif.Image.DateTimeOriginal), but I'm not a photographer :D. Maybe the author tags (Exif.Image.Artist and Exif.Image.Copyright) but I think only a few DSLRs write these tags and only when the camera is configured to do so.

Another feature that might be useful is to order by several fields not only one.

By the way: the reason that I was getting unexpected results when ordering files by file name was that KooRaRoo doesn't use the same sort algorithm as Windows. For example: Windows orders files starting with a # before a file starting with a number, in KooRaRoo this is the other way around. Maybe there a defined standard that you could follow?

Thanks for the help so far.

Dennis
December 30th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Ok, I'll add in more sorting options soon.

KooRaRoo sorts files in a natural way (this is especially important for sorting numbers) and I'll check to make sure it fully reflects how Windows does it, so that it's consistent - thanks for picking that up.