PDA

View Full Version : KooRaRoo - free version crashing

alback
December 17th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Not sure if support covers the free version...

I loaded the program for the first time today, no problem with the installation. However it crashed a couple of times after about 5 minutes, while initiating my file list. KRR is the 4th media server program I have tried and the only one to crash while loading the same video files. I have only selected 2 Video directories to be loaded, each with similar named subdirectories.

System as follows.

Windows 7 64bit
D-link 323 NAS, Upnp enabled with 2 x 2tb drives (75% full). Primarily Video files, photos and documents.
TV recent LG

It also crashed immediately upon re-open - 2 times.
Current status is it is running again, I see 2 files have been noted as failed (.mp4 files)
Crashed once again
Now 3 files listed as failed - all .mp4

I checked for a log file, none found under USERS.

Dennis
December 17th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear about those crashes. Do you get a crash offset address and module in the error dialog from Windows or is a generic message?

It may crashing while processing the files themselves or perhaps when retrieving extended metadata or subtitles (if you enabled those). Logs will certainly help narrow this down as well as any crash information from Windows.

To get logs, they need to be enabled first - please tick the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu (if you can run the GUI at all). To find the logs, please use Tools -> Options -> File Locations -> Logs.

It's probably best to sort this out through support rather than the forum, so that we can exchange logs and patches.

alback
December 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, it is a generic message - "program has stopped working". Since my first post, there have been several crashes, I would venture they happen when KKR creates an failed file error - now 8+files - over 1000 processed. I have turned on Logs since.

Also as an update, my computer has BSOD twice since the installation - so there is definitely an issue going on. I will contact support later with this.

thanks for your help.

Dennis
December 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Can you please tell me if you are using Bitdefender by any chance? If so, that's known to BSOD together with ffmpeg (used by KooRaRoo). I'll get back to you via support.

alback
December 19th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Hi Dennis,
To my knowledge, I am not using Bitdefender. I have submitted a ticket to your support address along with a couple of log files, received confirmation ticket #2043. I haven't received any other response. Meanwhile KRR continues to crash upon each 'failed file' and when I select to start server. Good part is no more BSOD.

thanks for your help.

alback
December 19th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Decided to unload this product, I had a very stable computer until I loaded KRR. Didn't receive any response from my support ticket. There are many others on the market, perhaps this is because I used the free program rather than the 30 day trial.

All I know is this program had too many issues working with my computer - more than 15 BSOD after it finally completed initiating 4800 files. The whole process took hours. Not a fan. bye

Dennis
December 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
With regards support - we are in Australia, so your ticket came in at 11:43 PM and I just replied to it (at 8:40 AM). I am sure we can sort this out, if you'd like to give it another try (more information in the ticket itself).

alback
December 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Dennis, I attempted to reply to your ticket, bounced back to my email.

I had no idea of your time delay, the replies to my forum comments took place in the morning - 8:22 am my time. My computer has never crashed like it did with KRR and you did not provide any solution from the log files I submitted. Yes my computer is overclocked, but remains stable, even when run at 100% cpu. for the past year.

I perservered through the initiation process while it crashed a total of 92 times (matching 92 files deemed failed to process). It was extremely frustrating, and took hours to initiate 4800+ files. The tipping point was several BSOD as I attempted to start using the KRR the server. The BSODs were so severe that my computer also blue screened on several restarts. Until your program, my computer has been unstable.

This instability, along with no response from support, I decided to walk away. I removed KRR from my computer and restored from a point prior to the installation of KRR.

Your program has some features, but running without issues is paramount.

I have used the LG SmartShare that came with my set, found it too slow, too difficult to manage directories. Used the D-Link built in UPnP, again too slow, not user friendly. Twonky was probably the best GUI, except it had difficulty adding directories. XBMC has been excellent with sorting my directories from 2 drives, the GUI is a little slow.

None of these crashed my computer even one time.

thanks for your reply

Dennis
December 19th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Yes, I do appreciate your frustration. Just for my own knowledge, did you see by any chance the offending module listed on the BSOD? It typically shows some file name there.

Logs can only really deal with file adding issues, but not with BSODs (since at that point nothing is logged). What they did show is the last few files before the crash, which would help to narrow things down further (since we could find the next file from that and see if that causes the BSOD). I can also send you other versions (newer or older) of file processing/converting library (ffmpeg) to see if that fixes anything. It may or may not be related to overclocking - it's hard to say and is very individual.

I'm happy to continue trying to work this out, if you'd like - just let me know through support if you do.

alback
December 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Dennis, thank you for the offer. No I didn't notice a file name on the screens. The computer is running fine now, so something didn't agree with my system. I apologize for venting my frustration.

I like the GUI of KRR, so today I loaded the same free version onto another computer loading same files from the same D-link 323. - this one runs Win XP sp3. So far it has not crashed, and I have also started the server while it remains processing. I have noticed it does not have one file listed as failed either. This computer is not as powerful, and it is also overclocked by about 20%.

thank you for your patience.

Dennis
December 20th, 2013, 07:53 AM
No problem - I would hate going through a series of BSODs myself. Can you please tell me what antivirus/firewall you are running on the first PC? This is the first thing I'd investigate. The second is your graphics card - can you please tell me the make and model and whether you are using stock or custom drivers for it?

alback
January 3rd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Update,
Just wanted to express my thanks to Dennis on the forum. Dennis has sent a great deal of advise on how to resolve issues with this software. Totally amazing considering it was a free copy. I purchased my full version today, I believe KRR is the best Gui, and offers many more features that other dlna servers.

Still some issues, which I am confident, he will resolve.

thanks,
alback

Dennis
January 3rd, 2014, 08:04 AM
Thank you - I appreciate it! I'm sure we'll sort out the rest of the issues as well of course :)