PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding transcoding

keiserSoze
December 13th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Hi,

I have 2 avi files, both seem to be encoded in xvid. When I play both of them on my Samsung TV, one is being transcoded and the other one not. How can I change or check why is this happening? Is it possible that TV set is detected with wrong device definition profile?
Also both being played directly from USB stick plugged in TV set are playing without problem so I suppose even if they are in different format they are supported with TV media player.

Regards,
K.

P.S. Being in the same profession, I can tell you made really good software (I can't say that often :( )

Dennis
December 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Hi,

Thank you - I appreciate that you like KooRaRoo!

The best way to check and solve this is if you could right-click on those files in KRR and send the output of the File Information command through a support ticket (http://support.kooraroo.com), please also tell me which device profile is used for your TV (you can see it in the Devices pane). I'll then modify the device profile to let such files through natively and send you a profile to test. Please also tell me the model of your Samsung TV in the support ticket.

keiserSoze
December 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM
after fiddling around, I think I solved the problem. What I did is:
1) disabled transcoding (i suppose that files of unsuported format won't be possible to see/watch, am I correct?)
2) changed device profile from Samsung TV - B serie to Samsung TV C/D/E
As far as I remember TV "ID" had by default C in the name of it's ID, and serial is LE40C630K1W

K.

keiserSoze
December 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Another question, why would or wouldn't "skip forward" functionality on certain videos work? What might be the cause of that (it works when video is played directly from USB device)?

K.

Dennis
December 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Yes, the C/D/E device profile is the one that you need to use. Was the TV auto-detected as a B-series?

If you disable transcoding then you won't be able to see/play incompatible files. I would recommend to enable transcoding, since you are using the correct profile now it should pass through all supported files natively and transcode only those that need transcoding.

Samsung's support for skipping is quite erratic - it works on some file formats and not on others. Playing files from a USB appears to trigger a different player internally and thus may work differently to when a file is streamed via DLNA. If Samsung's own server does not allow such files to seek, then KooRaRoo will be the same. However, if Samsung's server allows skipping and KRR does not, then we can look into fixing this (in most cases this is a device profile tweak).

keiserSoze
December 16th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Yes it was detected as B series TV set. Now things work fine. I chose not to use transcoding anyway just to pick up files I can't reproduce on my TV set. Now things are working fine.
The other thing that happened is that in device list my computer is shown. It's also show on TV device selection list. Now looking on device list, TV B-series is also shown. A bit strange behavior of this list. I will PM send screen shot you can see.

Cheers,
K.

Dennis
December 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I'm glad it's working now. Strange that it was mis-detected, which probably means the firmware on the TV is a bit different from other C-series.

I'll check the PM and get back to you on that privately.

keiserSoze
December 19th, 2013, 11:41 AM
FYI: just to keep the record, I have made post on support with attachments you reaquested. if you need my further assistance just let me know.

K.

Dennis
December 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, I have replied to you yesterday - did you receive the reply I sent? It's easier to keep track of things in just one place, so I'd recommend we do this through support, if you don't mind.

keiserSoze
December 22nd, 2013, 12:09 AM
yes received it.. yes sure...thnx

K.