PDA

View Full Version : New to KKR ...

David
February 28th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Hi:

I'm a new poster and just installed KKR last night on my laptop based on a recommendation from a poster on AVSForum. It sees all my devices (Oppo BDP105(profile BDP93#, Pioneer Plasma TV#profile pioneer KURO#, Synology DS1812+ NAS#profile pioneer KURO?# and others#see attachment#.

Problem is that i cant seem to play any music#flac, mp3# or videos#mp4, flv#. I point to "Send to BDP105" and then i see a spinning wheel on my TV as though its trying to read or play the file but cant find it. Its the equivalent of MS Windows hourglass that hangs forever. I gave up after 15 minutes of attempting to play the music or video files.

What could be wrong here? I thought it would be a simple plug and play but after 12 hours or so, i'm stumped!

I tried to open up the recommended ports#1900/2869# through my new firewall #Bit Defender 2013# but i'm not sure how to do it so i'm in contact with their support personnel.
I have a Netgear router WNDR3700 which has some 'port stuff' so i'm not sure if ports need to be opened in their as well.

Assuming its not a port issue, why can't i simply play my media once i point to it?

Thanks,
David

Dennis
February 28th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Yes, it should be simple - just as you are doing it, so something must be going wrong. To fully understand and fix this issue I'll need to see some logs.

So, please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server and the GUI and then try pushing one file to the Oppo. Give it 5 seconds and if playback doesn't start, stop the server and send in the logs through http://support.kooraroo.com. To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

I'm sure we'll sort this out quickly.

If the Oppo 105 differs in format support from Oppo 93, we'll need to create a new profile for it and I'll send it to you once I receive your logs through support.

You don't need to set any profile for the Synology, because you can't play files through it (right?) - it's picked up as a server, not as a client.

David
February 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware anyone was awake downunder...:D

Anyways, logs have been sent per your request(request # 906). On the NAS issue, my Synology has a media server as well(as it has some sort of media playback package) hence my mention of it as a server as well, but i may confused both you and myself by mentioning it.

My Oppo can is able to play lots of audio/video file formats so i wouldn't like KKR to transcode most of my files. How do i turn it off? How do i enable transcoding a file that my Oppo can't play?

Is KKR also able to take DVD/BR ISO files and push them onto the Oppo for playback OR encapsulate them into an MKV container for playback on the Oppo? Sorry for the many questions...

Thanks for the help ...

Regards,
David

Dennis
February 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM
David,

Thanks for the logs - I'll get back to you via e-mail regarding those.

I agree that the Oppo can handle most formats natively, so that's where using a correct and up-to-date device profile helps, as it'll define everything Oppo can handle and the rest will be transcoded. So, once we sort out the issue with playback via e-mail, we'll see if the current device profile needs enhancement with some file types that are not yet part of it.

KooRaRoo can handle DVD backups (VIDEO_TS) and ISO images. With BluRay - it should work as well, but it needs to have copy protection removed first (KRR does not do that). Yes, they can be played back on Oppo.

To disable transcoding (just for testing purposes), please go to Devices pane, double-click on the Oppo there, in the properties dialog that comes up go to Transcoding tab and untick the first checkbox in there.

David
February 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks Dennis ...i look forward to resolving my primary issue. Is it normal that i can't play the audio/video files on my NAS locally on my laptop when i click on Play Local?

Oppo BDP103/105 file formats and other questions can be found at http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html a FAQ with all sorts of stuff about the 103/105.

The FAQ for the 93/95 can be accessed http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html

Dennis
February 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Please let me know how the updated device profile that I sent via e-mail works out for you - we can of course tweak it as needed and thanks for those links!

To play files locally you need a good player (such as VLC) or lots of codecs for WMP.

David
February 28th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Please let me know how the updated device profile that I sent via e-mail works out for you - we can of course tweak it as needed and thanks for those links!

To play files locally you need a good player (such as VLC) or lots of codecs for WMP.

Dennis:

Thanks for the updated device profile for the Oppo. It seems to have helped. I presume you left out the BDP-95 by mistake? Digital Audio/Video support identical to the 93.

I setup a guest account on my Synology NAS and now i can stream mp3 audio and mp4 videos, which is a good start. I cannot however stream flv video and flac audio files like the ones you saw in my data logs. When i start to play either files, the on-screen counter counts fast from 0 to 25% and then stays there forever, it seems.

When i examine my wireless network, i see lots of traffic between my laptop and the router to the NAS(?) and/or Oppo (?). Seems something is being downloaded for my measured traffic speed is about 20Mb/s, which is the maximum DL speed from my cable TV provider(Time Warner). I only have a measly 2Mb/s upload speed.

Just for kicks, i decided to transcode a sample .flv file from "h264[640x360] 23.98 aac (2-channels) 44100Hz" to "Matroska, h264level51high:0 Audio aac:1"

After a while (about 5-10 minutes), it played fine and subsequent repeated plays didn't have the initial delay.

But my Oppo player plays flv files natively with no problem through my Synology NAS and i do not want to transcode my large library of .flv files. What is wrong?

My audio flac files (24-bit, 96kHz) also do not play at all. They do not even cause a change in my display at all. Yet they play fine on my Oppo though my NAS

I transcoded one sample file to 16-bit lpcm, the only choice i was given which is an inferior result from my original 24-bit source.

The sound was BAD!!! It was playing back at a much slower speed than the song itself! Sounds like when one decides to play a song at 5x slower speed than its normal speed. The sounds were in SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW MOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTIIIIIIOOOOOOONNNNN:confused::confu sed::confused:. It was comical to listen to actually for it was either that or cry:o! The woman singing the song now really had a very very deep and slow and painful voice:eek:.

Anyways, its late for me (1:30am) so i have to go to bed. If you need to test sample flv files, you can go to youtube and download your favorite music files for test and see what i'm talking about.

You can download free flac audio files for test from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html and other sites.

Hope this helps in narrowing down and fixing my problems...

Regards,
David

Dennis
February 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM
David,

Yes, I had a feeling I left something out and BDP-95 is it, thanks for pointing it out! :)

Sorry for leaving out FLV - I've adjusted the profile further and I'll send it to you shortly (once I finish this message here), FLAC, however, should've played through natively as-is. In the support ticket I did not have information for your FLAC, so can you please right-click on one o fthe files in KRR and then send the output of the "File Information" command to the support e-mail again and I'll add it to the device profile if it needs adding, or we'll see why it's not being passed through as it should.

Thank you for the link for sample files - I'll grab a few from there as well!

At least you had a bit of fun listening to a song like you've never heard it before :) I appreciate your sense of humor ;) We'll get this polished up once I receive file information from you via e-mail.

Thanks!

David
March 1st, 2013, 06:48 AM
David,

Yes, I had a feeling I left something out and BDP-95 is it, thanks for pointing it out! :)

Sorry for leaving out FLV - I've adjusted the profile further and I'll send it to you shortly (once I finish this message here), FLAC, however, should've played through natively as-is. In the support ticket I did not have information for your FLAC, so can you please right-click on one o fthe files in KRR and then send the output of the "File Information" command to the support e-mail again and I'll add it to the device profile if it needs adding, or we'll see why it's not being passed through as it should.

Thank you for the link for sample files - I'll grab a few from there as well!

At least you had a bit of fun listening to a song like you've never heard it before :) I appreciate your sense of humor ;) We'll get this polished up once I receive file information from you via e-mail.

Thanks!

Dennis:

FLAC Log files attached (in support forum)per your request. I've named them accordingly if they had transcoding to 16b_LPCM or not.
(BTW, in the future, please ever transcoding is needed for a hirez file, please preserve if resolution by converting it to 24b_LPCM instead of 16-bits).

- File that plays slowly is shown to be 9 min 43 sec long. That's not correct as the actual normal playing time 4 min 23secs, a factor of more than 2 reduction in speed. Man, it really sounds like a cow in very prolonged labor with no one to help. I feel sorry for the poor animal!

- FLAC Song is "You've Got a Friend", originally sung by James Taylor, but on this album its sung by a female in a Jazzy sort of way.

- Metadata is corrupted for all audio files, whether they play natively or with transcoding. In this case, when i play this file directly from NAS to Oppo, it shows the following correct metadata:

Title: You've Got A Friend(24Bit 96kHZ)
Artist: Kent Poon (Executive Producer)
Album: Audiophile Jazz Prologue III (DSMV 24/96)

Once transcoded, the metadata shown is:

Title: You've Got A Frien~
Artist: Kent P~^n (Executive Producer@
Album: Audi$phile J@# Prologue III (DSMV #

The corruption is random. If i transcode another file, the extra characters will be arranged differently.

Sometimes, the meta data is not shown at all:confused:

- Do you support multi-channel audio playback from either in Flac, PCM, SACD(DSD) or DVD-Audio and others (up to 7.1-channels @ 24b/192kHz). If not, please simply pass it along to the Oppo for playback.

Also one way KKR could have an edge is to support the DXD format at 352.8kHz @24bits, stereo or multi-channel. You could allow the user to play it natively or downrez it to 192k or 96kHz for their audio players as very few CD/BD players support this data rate but many works by 2L are natively produced in this format and are available for download.

Hope the above helps ...

Thanks,
David

PS
I have duplicate most of this mail on your support forum.

Dennis
March 1st, 2013, 08:08 AM
David, thank you for the files and the information. I'll go through it all shortly and get back to you via e-mail.

KooRaRoo does support passing through and encoding 24-bit multichannel LPCM - it'll be in a test profile I'll send you shortly. It should already pass through multichannel FLAC to your Oppo, but I'll check the file descriptions you sent in to make sure it's all ok.

Do you have a sample DXD file that you could in or a link where I could download one? Thanks!

David
March 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
The 2L link i sent you earlier has some DXD samples...http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html. Scroll midscreen and you'll see stereo DXD sources 24b@352.8kHz, stereo DFF files(DSD64) and 5.1 DXD(24b,352.8kHz) sources...

Dennis
March 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Great, thanks - I'll grab a DXD from there then. Just going through your issue right now, so will reply shortly via e-mail.

David
March 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
Dennis:

I have some good news so far:

- MP3 audio plays fine as before
- MP4 video plays fine as before
- 2.0CH Flac(24b/96kHz) now plays great. I hope 24b/192kHz plays fine as well, right?
- 5.1CH Flac(24b/96kHz) now plays great. I hope 7.1CH plays ok??? Ditto for the 192k sampling rate?

Now for the bad news:

- FLV is still not functional. It starts off reading up to 25% and then either stops or locks forever at 25%.
- WAV audio files (2.0 or MCH) do not even show up on the screen as started.
- Metadata is still missing. Please see attached flac file that originally played so sloowly at 9min:43sec but now shows the correct 4min 23sec duration. The tags are missing/empty for album, song, author etc...

- I also noticed something puzzling and troubling to me ... my wireless network is very busy when playing media, especially large Flac files? Why should it be active at all? Doesn't KKR simply send a 'command' to the Oppo to read the files form the NAS and that's it? It seems i'm wirelessly streaming audio on my network when playing these files, which shouldn't be the case, right? I would want to keep the wireless network free for other stuff while i'm listening to music. I multi-task alot around here ...

- I didn't include log files since you have the older ones i setn with still the same problems.

- Is their a manual/document that highlights all the audio and video formats KKR is able to play, either through transconding or send direct to the Oppo?

Regards,
David

Dennis
March 1st, 2013, 03:24 PM
David,

Thanks for the update. Yes, all FLAC files should play fine (if they are supported by the Oppo), if not - we'll transcode those that are not supported.

- FLV is still not functional. It starts off reading up to 25% and then either stops or locks forever at 25%.
- WAV audio files (2.0 or MCH) do not even show up on the screen as started.

To work on the FLV and WAV issues, I'll need to send you a new device profile (via e-mail) and I'll do that shortly.

- Metadata is still missing. Please see attached flac file that originally played so sloowly at 9min:43sec but now shows the correct 4min 23sec duration. The tags are missing/empty for album, song, author etc...
With the file that's missing metadata - can you please double-click on it in KRR to bring up its properties, then go to Transcoding tab and see if there are any entries there. If there are entries there, then most likely KRR is still sending a transcoded file, which may be missing metadata (in case it's LPCM, for example). If there are no entries, then KRR is streaming the original file and Oppo should be able to pick up metadata from it. However, it's possible that for files served over DLNA, Oppo relies on the file's description sent by the server, rather than reading metadata from the file itself. If that's the case, then we need to check whether metadata was correctly read from the file in the first place. Does KRR's GUI show correct metadata for this file?

- I also noticed something puzzling and troubling to me ... my wireless network is very busy when playing media, especially large Flac files? Why should it be active at all? Doesn't KKR simply send a 'command' to the Oppo to read the files form the NAS and that's it? It seems i'm wirelessly streaming audio on my network when playing these files, which shouldn't be the case, right? I would want to keep the wireless network free for other stuff while i'm listening to music. I multi-task alot around here ...
Actually KRR has to read in the file and then it sends the file to the device (Oppo) - that's why you are seeing traffic there. That's just how DLNA works, so you don't just tell a device to grab a file, you have to actually send the file to it.

- Is their a manual/document that highlights all the audio and video formats KKR is able to play, either through transconding or send direct to the Oppo?
There is no actual document on all formats KRR can pass-through or transcode, but you can get a rough idea of the support formats from this page: http://www.kooraroo.com/features.php . It's safe to say that in 95% of cases KRR can read in the file and convert it to a format that a device can play. There are some exceptions to this in a form of certain file formats that are not fully supported, but this is being improved over time. KRR uses FFmpeg libraries to process data, so anything that FFmpeg supports, KRR can support as well and actually even more.

David
March 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
Dennis

I've attached a few images for you. The Metadata is there if i use VLC to play the file locally AND also when i play the file direct using the Oppo 105 (see the last 2 images). This shows that the file has metadata embedded in the file.

Using KRR, the Transcoding tab is empty with no metadata in it(see its respective image). Metadata was seen(sort of?) in the General tab in the Metadata type section by selecting different attributes like artist, album etc (see first 2 images).

Anyways, it seems that metadata is supposed to be in the Transcoding tab, if i read you correctly, tho i might be wrong.

Thanks for the brief summary on how DLNA works. All this stuff is new to me to i'm having a bad case of teething problems...

David
March 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM
I've added another one from KRR that is a screen grab of the Get File Information command of the same file. You can see that the metadata is shown in the file.

Dennis
March 1st, 2013, 11:57 PM
David,

I've sent an updated profile to you along with some notes via e-mail.

The Transcoding tab doesn't contain metadata - it shows whether the file has been transcoded and if it has, you have the option to save this new file somewhere or delete it from the cache. Since there's nothing there, that file was sent to the Oppo natively (without transcoding). So, metadata would still be in the file. It may be that the Oppo is relying on the server to deliver metadata to it (which it should have done). Can you please send me that FLAC file to support, so that I could test it with regards to how metadata is read from it?

David
March 2nd, 2013, 04:46 AM
David,

I've sent an updated profile to you along with some notes via e-mail.

The Transcoding tab doesn't contain metadata - it shows whether the file has been transcoded and if it has, you have the option to save this new file somewhere or delete it from the cache. Since there's nothing there, that file was sent to the Oppo natively (without transcoding). So, metadata would still be in the file. It may be that the Oppo is relying on the server to deliver metadata to it (which it should have done). Can you please send me that FLAC file to support, so that I could test it with regards to how metadata is read from it?

Here's an example i was using to test my system... http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/HDMCH7041888514725_01_01.flac

Dennis
March 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the sample - I'll try it here.

David
April 5th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Dennis:

I'm willing to test out the 352kHz rate as you indicated in your earlier email to me. I sent a response last night but it bounced, so I just wanted to make sure you receive my response in this forum.

- David

Dennis
April 5th, 2013, 09:08 AM
David,

Yes the whole server went down yesterday, so we lost the site, forum, support and e-mails for about 10 hours :(