PDA

View Full Version : MKV + Subtitles

steveq
November 16th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Hey Gurus,

I am unsuccessfully trying to stream some .mkv files to my PS3 with subtitles.

I know the .mkv has subtitles, because VLC media player plays them.

How do I get my subtitles on my PS3 please?

Many thanks,

Steve Q. :-)

Dennis
November 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hello Steve,

The PS3 does not play MKV files natively, so they need to be transcoded. If your subtitles are external, then they should be burned-in, provided you enabled burned-in subtitles. If the subtitles are embedded in MKVs as a stream, then KRR can extract those and burn them in too. Can you please tell me if you enabled burned-in subtitles for the PS3 in KRR?

steveq
November 16th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Hello Steve,

The PS3 does not play MKV files natively, so they need to be transcoded. If your subtitles are external, then they should be burned-in, provided you enabled burned-in subtitles. If the subtitles are embedded in MKVs as a stream, then KRR can extract those and burn them in too. Can you please tell me if you enabled burned-in subtitles for the PS3 in KRR?

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have right clicked on the .mkv(s) and selected Enable Burned-in Subtitles. Is this what you mean?
Nothing happened to indicate that I had done this, how can I tell if it is working?

Kind regards,

Steve Q. :)

steveq
November 16th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Hello Steve,

Hey Dennis,

I have right clicked on the .mkv(s) and selected Enable Burned-in Subtitles. Is this what you mean?
Nothing happened to indicate that I had done this, how can I tell if it is working?

Kind regards,

ashurablood
November 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Hey Dennis,

Kind regards,

Maybe you should try to Enable Burned-in Subtitles in the PS3 Profile in "Devices". Then restart PS3 to ensure that PS3 catch the new config profile (I have to do this with many devices). Hope to help :)

Dennis
November 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM

Maybe you should try to Enable Burned-in Subtitles in the PS3 Profile in "Devices". Then restart PS3 to ensure that PS3 catch the new config profile (I have to do this with many devices). Hope to help :)

The right-click enables/disables subtitles on a per-file basis. However, they need to be enabled for the device, as ashurablood suggested - please take a look at this thread: http://forum.kooraroo.com/showthread.php/191-How-to-use-the-burned-in-subtitles-feature

steveq
November 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hey Guys,
I have tried everything you have suggested, including reading the link you suggested Dennis (which I had already read).
I just realised the my HDD is almost full, so there may no be enough room for the transcode.

Can I go into the transcode folder and delete the ones in there without screwing things up? I don't anticipate needing them again.

Steve :)

Dennis
November 17th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Steve,

Yes, you can either make the transcoding folder smaller, or delete files from it or move it to another disk. To do the first two operations, go to Tools -> Options -> Transcoding and adjust settings there. If you want to move this folder, then go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and change the "Transcoding" folder.

Please let me know if that gets things going.

steveq
November 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hey Again,

I have deleted all transcoded files, and have confirmed that I have 51gig of space available... but still no subtitles.
Burned-in subtitles is definitely turned on the the PS3 device, I checked again in VLC and there are definitely subtitles, here is the codec information:

Very strange?

On a side note Dennis, I too am a programmer. I have spent several years developing software to encode content for DCI compliant digital cinemas world wide. These packages are called Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs). My software is called DCPPro and communicates to my JPEG2000 encoders via TCP/IP, it also encodes 3D for the 3D films you see when you go to the movies. The reason I mention this is that I am intrigued as to how your transcoding works. It must be bloody fast to be able to encode, embed subtitles and deliver frames to a device in real time? Very impressed! Oh and I chose KooRaRoo because it was the software that was the most reliable of the ones I tried (...and to support a fellow Aussie of course!!). Nice work!

Dennis
November 18th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Hey Steve,

Thank you for supporting KooRaRoo - I appreciate it! :)

If you are trying to burn-in embedded subtitles, then the first place I'd check is whether they are loaded into KRR in the first place. This is disabled by default, because it slows down adding files. To check this, please go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced and see if "Load embedded subtitles from video files" it ticked or not. If it's not, tick it, then right-click on the video in KRR and use the Reload -> Subtitles command. After that's done (give it a few seconds), try bringing up the Transcode dialog for that file (or properties) and see if those embedded subtitles are now read in. If they are there, then they should be burnt-in and if they are not, please open a support ticket and we'll dive deeper.

Always glad to hear from a fellow developer! I won't take credit for encoding - it is done using FFmpeg, which is what most software out there uses under the hood.

steveq
November 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hey Dennis,

I have tried what you suggested. "Load embedded subtitles from video files" was turned off. To be sure, I deleted the files from the the database, and re-added them.

My PS3 now says "Unsupported datatype" and refuses to play them altogether? I'll submit a support ticket.

Yes I too use FFmpeg to extract video frames and audio from movie files. It took a while to figure it out though, I thought the developer documentation was average!

Steve :)

P.s. Oh if ever you need a beta tester, I'm happy to help out.

Dennis
November 18th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Steve,

Thank you - I replied via support.