PDA

View Full Version : how does it all fit together

efigalaxie
November 6th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Dennis,

if I am not asking any secret, can you tell me how this thing works - as in...

Obviously, there is a database or three. Are the databases flat file or relational?

What actions delete physical files on the hard drive and what actions merely alter or delete an entry in the database.

An Example of why I am asking.... I sat and went through all my video files - fixing metadata and thumbnails. I decided to clear the whole thing out and start over using the same .NAS boxes..same files. All my fixes and work were gone. Is there a way to apply the metadata and thumbnails to the actual file and folder??

Also, if I want to refresh metadata and thumbnail info for a single file, is there a way to do that? I have only seen options ..Live, Hourly, daily,etc that allow intervals for the entire library.

I looked at what was auto selected for my device. It had chosen the Logitech revue. I have the sony nsz-gs7. That device profile exists, but seemed not to work for my box.

If you can tell me how this all works....it will make it easier to use. I am not asking for source code. I am very familiar with database concepts. I am 43 and have been playing with pc-s and a/v equipment for 35+ of them. (vic-20 was my first computer)

thanks - david

PS - as you are responsive, and I have faith that you will answer much if not all of the above, I am buying this in a moment.

Dennis
November 6th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Dennis,

if I am not asking any secret, can you tell me how this thing works - as in...

Obviously, there is a database or three. Are the databases flat file or relational?

Sure, I'm happy to explain how things work.

The DBs are relational. KooRaRoo uses SQLite as its database engine.

What actions delete physical files on the hard drive and what actions merely alter or delete an entry in the database.

There are only two actions that actually touch the original file on disk. One is moving is to another folder using "Move to Disk Folder" and the other is renaming "Rename on Disk". Files are never deleted on disk.

An Example of why I am asking.... I sat and went through all my video files - fixing metadata and thumbnails. I decided to clear the whole thing out and start over using the same .NAS boxes..same files. All my fixes and work were gone. Is there a way to apply the metadata and thumbnails to the actual file and folder??

There are some thoughts to add a metadata editor to KRR. The main reason why it's not done yet is that I'm reluctant to touch original files, however KRR may need tighter integration with files and thus probably needs to be able to modify them as well.

Also, if I want to refresh metadata and thumbnail info for a single file, is there a way to do that? I have only seen options ..Live, Hourly, daily,etc that allow intervals for the entire library.

Yes, just right-click on that file in KRR and you'll see a few options to update it directly.

I looked at what was auto selected for my device. It had chosen the Logitech revue. I have the sony nsz-gs7. That device profile exists, but seemed not to work for my box.

Yes, they share the same unique string and thus it's misdetected. You tried the "Sony Google TV Box" and it doesn't work? What happens? It doesn't start playing or starts, but looks/sounds wrong or you don't see files in folders at all on the device? I'd be happy to work through this through http://support.kooraroo.com (it allows me to keep better track of specific issues).

efigalaxie
November 6th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Ok, just to be sure, say I use metax or thumbgen to actually change the metadata on a real file. From within Kooraroo, simply open the folder, right click the file, and update. Then if I go to the TV, refresh ViMu, I should see the fixed stuff immediately???

Dennis
November 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yes, pretty much. Of course as much metadata as ViMu supports itself (some players don't show any metadata at all, some show some and some show a lot).