PDA

View Full Version : Deleting incompatable files after transcoding to suit the device

masterchef
September 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM
The new feature in Version 2.0 (September 2013) to identify and allow selective transcoding of files that are incompatible with a device in really great. Where are the transcoding files stored?, still in the transcoded folder or somewhere else? Will this mean the end to the dreaded "incompatible codex" messages? I only really watch my movies on one type of device so for me (and others like me) a switch to configure storage of the transcoded files to be in the original disk folder and an option to delete the original transcoded file after a successful transcode might be worth considering (but perhaps a failsafe option would be needed in case on playing to the device a playback problem became evident, in that case perhaps a checkbox system to select which original files to delete in the same way the new transcoding for device window is programmed ). Having transcoded a movie for one device, would it be possible to re-transcode that transcoded movie to match a new device in the future or would there be losses?

I installed Version 2 within hours of its release and it happily ran all last week transcoding my incompatible files even while I was adding more movie files to my server disk folders. KKR is now transcoding my fresh batch of incompatible movies as I write this.

Thanks Dennis and well done, your program now works better than ever at an almost giveaway price.

Dennis
October 1st, 2013, 12:22 AM
I'm glad you like that feature - thank you, I appreciate it!

Yes, the files are still stored in the "usual" temporary transcoding folder. There is a plan to add a feature to switch transcoded and original files, which would allow you to remove originals after confirming the transcoded files work, so yes, this is coming soon.

Regarding re-transcoding and quality loses - if a file is remuxed, then there's no quality loss, however if the other device is completely different and a full conversion is required, it's possible that there will be some loss of quality. However, in most cases, this is unnoticeable to the human eye and of course there is always a way to increase quality by modifying the device profile manually to suit your personal system and tastes. I'm happy to discuss more through support.