PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Global Updating When Required Rather Than Using The Choice In The Setup

masterchef
September 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM
This may be possible and I have missed it. I currently have my disc folder updating set to real time as I am constantly (well at this time) adding more videos to the folders. This appears to result in lots of update runs, which must be a strain on the system. It would be nice if I could select a global update option at the end of a hard day`s file transferring to my server. Additionally it would be useful to be able to globally change the updating interval if required.

Woops. Looks like I posted in the wrong thread, sorry admin

Dennis
September 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM
If I understand correctly, you just want a scheduled update, instead of real-time watching, is that right? If that's the case, just bring up the properties for the disk folders in KRR and then set "automatically update" to be, for example, every 8 hours or so. Or did you mean something else?

Setting this as a global option is a good idea, so basically to sync up all updates to go at once at night, for example?

masterchef
September 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM
If I understand correctly, you just want a scheduled update, instead of real-time watching, is that right? If that's the case, just bring up the properties for the disk folders in KRR and then set "automatically update" to be, for example, every 8 hours or so. Or did you mean something else?

Setting this as a global option is a good idea, so basically to sync up all updates to go at once at night, for example?

Yes that's right. Currently you can set the properties for each disk folder individually which can be time consuming, as in my case, and how many users place new films in a folder every day, or hour, I`m just lucky that I have a lot of time on my hands.. Yes I did mean, at the end of the computer working day, the ability to press a button and update all folders overnight would, in my case be very useful and I think sensible. For those of us using KKR on a server setup it would reduce the server load. Currently I have set all my disk folder properties to update in real time, on a typical "computer work day" I may transfer 20 to 40 video files/folders to my server disk folders. In effect what happens is that the disk folder update program (in KKR) tends to run almost continually while I am working as it "senses" a new file in a watched folder, which is not really necessary. I hope that makes sense. i.e finish transferring files for the day, click the update all changed folders button "if that`s possible, if not, it will be an update all folders" and leave the system to run. After all most users will leave the media server machine running all the time so that their devices can access the media on demand. Yes I can set each disk folder to update every X days, or Y hours but often if you have a number of disk folders in use inevitably some folders will be used rarely, for example, I have a folder called "Skins" which contains all the episodes from the UK Skins series, it will not often require updating, or am I just being a little dense and expecting too much?

Dennis
September 11th, 2013, 09:28 AM
It all makes sense and I don't see any problems adding such a function in - thank you for the suggestion!