PDA

View Full Version : Playlist Access & Subtitles (Japanese Anime)

DahFlipBoi
January 30th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Hi.. I am new to this forum and recently just discovered this wonderful DLNA Server App.. Up till now, I was using apps like
Tversity and PS3 Media but love the clean look and feel of this app so far..

A few things I wanted to ask though.. I watch alot of Japanese Anime and most of the subs are embedded in the .mkv
format so will your app be able to stream the subs and display them during transcoding?

Also, I have used a few other apps that also allow you to restrict access to certain playlists according to the MAC address
or IP Address.. I am bringing this up cuz I do stream in other parts of the house but don't want certain playlist
to be able to be viewed...

So far, I must say I love the app though.. great so far and I look forward to future upgrades as well..

FYI.. I have used Mezzmo, Universal Media Server, PS3 Media Server, Wild Media Server and NeroMedia Home.. So far, this app
has taken some of the best features and has made it very easy to use.. Much Mahalos!!

Dennis
January 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I'm glad you like KooRaRoo - thank you!

If your device supports MKV files natively, then KRR can stream them to it without transcoding, thus preserving the subtitle streams. You can also use the burned-in subtitles feature of KRR to burn subtitles onto the video, if your device doesn't support MKV. Can you please tell me the make and model or the device(s) that you plan to stream to?

You can restrict playlists and individual files based on their parental (MPAA) rating. Just set a rating for a file/folder and then specify a rating for the devices that you have and you'll be able to segregate the contents as you need.

If you need more help on the above, please don't hesitate to post here or contact http://support.kooraroo.com

DahFlipBoi
January 31st, 2013, 03:20 PM
So, if I am reading your reply correctly.. if the MKV file has subs already embedded in them I can turn on the burn-subtitles and it will display them onscreen? Also, I plan on streaming to an XBOX360 as well as a PS3... if this doesn't pan out I may have to buy a BluRay Player that has MKV support already built-in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated but so far overall its a great app.

BTW, I do understand about the MPAA Rating but that means I would have to go into every video file and assign a rating... I would rather create a playlist which would only be viewable based on the IP and/or MAC Address.. Unless I can assign a rating to an entire folder or playlist that may solve my problem as well..

Much Mahalos and wow, I must say what excellent service and quick reply.. KUDOS GUYS!!

Hi,

I'm glad you like KooRaRoo - thank you!

If your device supports MKV files natively, then KRR can stream them to it without transcoding, thus preserving the subtitle streams. You can also use the burned-in subtitles feature of KRR to burn subtitles onto the video, if your device doesn't support MKV. Can you please tell me the make and model or the device(s) that you plan to stream to?

You can restrict playlists and individual files based on their parental (MPAA) rating. Just set a rating for a file/folder and then specify a rating for the devices that you have and you'll be able to segregate the contents as you need.

If you need more help on the above, please don't hesitate to post here or contact http://support.kooraroo.com

Dennis
January 31st, 2013, 05:41 PM
So, if I am reading your reply correctly.. if the MKV file has subs already embedded in them I can turn on the burn-subtitles and it will display them onscreen? Also, I plan on streaming to an XBOX360 as well as a PS3... if this doesn't pan out I may have to buy a BluRay Player that has MKV support already built-in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated but so far overall its a great app.

If the player supports MKV natively (and neither the Xbox360 nor the PS3 do, unfortunately), then subtitles can be streamed directly as part of the MKV (embedded). If the file has to be transcoded, as is the case with those two devices, then you'll need to grab external subtitles for those files (SRT, SMI, SUB or ASS) and KRR will then burn them onto the video. A future update of KRR will also extract embedded subtitles from the video file (embedded subs) and allow you to burn them.

There are a few BDPs with MKV support - do you have any brand preference?

BTW, I do understand about the MPAA Rating but that means I would have to go into every video file and assign a rating... I would rather create a playlist which would only be viewable based on the IP and/or MAC Address.. Unless I can assign a rating to an entire folder or playlist that may solve my problem as well..
You don't have to set every file - you can do it multiple files at once or, set whole playlists (just right-click on the playlist and set the rating on it).

Jacqueline
January 20th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks again for all your answers. Maybe I'll have a NAS before the trial phase is over (I still have 29 days left), then I can test it myself and then decide to buy it (or write a review).