PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding is stuttering, low spec server.

Aethelstan
August 2nd, 2013, 01:49 AM
Hi, I have set up KooRaRoo using the 30 day trial, and I am very much minded to purchase because of the content filtering per device. There is one slight niggle though, and I am sure I am missing something simple to solve it. When watching a 720p stream on my PS3, the live transcoding was stuttering. I think it is sensible to assume that my server (AMD N54L / 2.2GHz - 2GB DDR3 SDRAM) is not up to the job of live transcoding 720p or higher, and as such I am happy to pre-transcode things when I remember. Unfortunately, due to the massive amount of media we have, this will take me an age and I will forget some things. Hence I would like to set it so if there are no pre-transcoded streams available, it will default to a low def, quick stream as potentially there could be three live transcodes going at once. Is this possible?

Kind regards,

David

Dennis
August 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hi David,

You could try limiting the height/width parameters in device's properties and set the width to 576 (for example). This will help in encoding 720p and higher, as the frames will be smaller. It's also possible to tweak the device profile manually to reduce the quality, thus increasing the transcoding speed. Let me know if that's something you'd like to try - if you do, it's best if we do it through http://support.kooraroo.com, as it's easier to keep track of such things in there.

Aethelstan
August 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Cheers, I will look at setting that up :) Funnily enough though, I changed my PS3's wireless access point from an N to a G and that seems to have stopped the stuttering. Looks like the wireless was the bottleneck after all and proved the old saying, more haste, less speed :)