PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Embedded Subtitles in MKV

Option
August 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hello, I'm pretty new to world of DLNA streaming and video file types (started learning last night) so please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding some concepts or using the wrong terminology.

I've recently tried to use my LG 55LW5600 TV to watch videos from my computer using some free Nero DNLA software that came with the TV. So far, I've had a lot of problems playing MKV file types and I'm glad to say that using KooRaRoo has resolved most of the issues. The only problem left is a big one though. For some reason, I am not able to get subtitles to display on the TV but they work fine on my computer. The only subtitles I can get on the TV are on AVI files and I think those subtitles are burned into the video stream. The MKV files however have two subtitle options in ASS format which is embedded in the container (not an external file).

I am using the free version of KooRaRoo so the Burn option is not available but according the the product comparison page, the free version is supposed the play embedded subtitles. Does it only play those embedded subtitles if the device supports it? (obviously my LG TV does not) If not, then if I buy the full version, will the Burn feature work directly from the embedded ASS file or do I need to somehow get an external subtitle file?

I hope that makes sense but please let me know if you need any additional info or clarification. Thank you!

Dennis
August 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hello,

The first question that I need to ask is which device profile you are using for your TV - please check the Devices pane and let me know. Then please also right-click on that MKV file with subtitles and send the output of the File Information through http://support.kooraroo.com or post it here. That will tell me whether the file is streamed natively or transcoded. If it's streamed natively, then yes, it's up to the TV to load the embedded subtitles (or not). If you cannot enable them on the TV and the file is passed through natively, then the TV doesn't support this type of subtitles in this container and they need to be burned-in.

You can also run a trial version of the paid edition of KooRaRoo and if you started your media library with the free version less than 30 days ago, then you can switch between free and paid editions to test them out without losing anything.

I'd be happy to help you in more detail through a support ticket as well.

Option
August 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Hello,

The first question that I need to ask is which device profile you are using for your TV - please check the Devices pane and let me know. Then please also right-click on that MKV file with subtitles and send the output of the File Information through http://support.kooraroo.com or post it here. That will tell me whether the file is streamed natively or transcoded. If it's streamed natively, then yes, it's up to the TV to load the embedded subtitles (or not). If you cannot enable them on the TV and the file is passed through natively, then the TV doesn't support this type of subtitles in this container and they need to be burned-in.

You can also run a trial version of the paid edition of KooRaRoo and if you started your media library with the free version less than 30 days ago, then you can switch between free and paid editions to test them out without losing anything.

I'd be happy to help you in more detail through a support ticket as well.

Thank you Dennis, the TV's device profile is "LG TV" and the video file's information is as follows:

Video, DB: 240, Thumb: 264
S [h264, 28], bitrate: 0, framerate: 23.98, level: 41, profile: 100, flags: 0x0, flags2: 0x0

------------------------

ffmpeg version N-54773-gb405f4e Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
built on Jul 17 2013 13:18:09 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
configuration: --disable-shared --enable-static --arch=x86 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=/home/dennis/cc/mingw-w64-i686/bin/i686-w64-mingw32- --pkg-config=pkg-config --enable-gpl --enable-libx264 --enable-avisynth --enable-libxvid --enable-libmp3lame --enable-version3 --enable-zlib --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libfreetype --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --disable-w32threads --enable-bzlib --enable-libbluray --enable-dxva2 --enable-memalign-hack --enable-avresample --enable-runtime-cpudetect --extra-cflags=-DPTW32_STATIC_LIB --enable-libvpx
libavutil 52. 40.100 / 52. 40.100
libavcodec 55. 18.102 / 55. 18.102
libavformat 55. 12.102 / 55. 12.102
libavdevice 55. 3.100 / 55. 3.100
libavfilter 3. 81.101 / 3. 81.101
libavresample 1. 1. 0 / 1. 1. 0
libswscale 2. 4.100 / 2. 4.100
libswresample 0. 17.102 / 0. 17.102
libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'C:\Users\Kevin\Videos\[OZC]0Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion Episode 01 'The Day a New Demon Was Born' [FINAL].mkv':
Metadata:
creation_time : 2009-08-30 03:08:34
Duration: 00:24:08.40, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4462 kb/s
Chapter #0.0: start 0.000000, end 102.102000
Metadata:
title : Prologue
Chapter #0.1: start 102.102000, end 192.192000
Metadata:
title : Opening Credits
Chapter #0.2: start 192.192000, end 791.791000
Metadata:
title : Part 1
Chapter #0.3: start 791.791000, end 1357.356000
Metadata:
title : Part 2
Chapter #0.4: start 1357.356000, end 1448.404000
Metadata:
title : Ending Credits
Stream #0:0(jpn): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1080, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Metadata:
title : Video
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
Metadata:
title : English 2ch AAC
Stream #0:2(jpn): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp
Metadata:
title : Japanese 2ch AAC
Stream #0:3(jpn): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp
Metadata:
title : Japanese Cast Commentary 2ch AAC
Stream #0:4(eng): Subtitle: ssa (default)
Metadata:
title : English OP/ED Karaoke/Signs/Titles
Stream #0:5(eng): Subtitle: ssa
Metadata:
title : English Subtitles
Stream #0:6(eng): Subtitle: ssa
Metadata:
title : English Cast Commentary Subtitles
Codec 0x18000 is not in the full list.
Stream #0:7: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : APANRG.TTF
mimetype : application/x-truetype-font
Stream #0:8: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : FLAMENN.TTF
Stream #0:9: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : Gabrielle.ttf
Stream #0:10: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : ITCKabelStd-Medium_0.otf
Stream #0:11: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : LEVIBRUSH.TTF
Stream #0:12: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : LLCHARLO.TTF
Stream #0:13: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : PALETTEN.TTF
Stream #0:14: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : Quirkus B.ttf
Stream #0:15: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : Quirkus BI.ttf
Stream #0:16: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : Quirkus I.ttf
Stream #0:17: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : Quirkus.ttf
Stream #0:18: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : segoepr.ttf
Stream #0:19: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : segoeprb.ttf
Stream #0:20: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : simpbdo.ttf
Stream #0:21: Attachment: unknown_codec
Metadata:
filename : simpo.ttf
At least one output file must be specified

Please let me know if this is not the right info you requested or if you need any other details. Thanks again!

Dennis
August 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the file information, it's exactly what I needed.

Such files would be passed through natively, so if the TV does not load embedded subtitles in that file, then perhaps it doesn't support them or at least doesn't support this particular combination of container and subtitles.

I'd recommend trying the full version and to try and burn those subtitles in. I am happy to assist with any further questions through http://support.kooraroo.com or here on the forum.

Option
August 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Thank you for the file information, it's exactly what I needed.

Such files would be passed through natively, so if the TV does not load embedded subtitles in that file, then perhaps it doesn't support them or at least doesn't support this particular combination of container and subtitles.

I'd recommend trying the full version and to try and burn those subtitles in. I am happy to assist with any further questions through http://support.kooraroo.com or here on the forum.

Thank you Dennis, I will give that a try. Just to clarify, will KooRaRoo burn the subtitles straight from the file within the MKV container or do I need to somehow strip it out first?

Dennis
August 2nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
KooRaRoo can load embedded subtitles for you and then use those. To enable this, please go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced and tick the "Load embedded subtitles from video files" box. After that right-click on the video in KRR and use Reload -> Subtitles (or delete and re-add the video altogether).

Option
August 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks again! Can you tell me if I should uninstall the free version of KooRaRoo before installing the trial version? Or is their a way to "upgrade" the free version to the trial version?

Dennis
August 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
You can just install the paid (trial) version over the top of your existing free one and it should just work :)

Option
August 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Hi Dennis, it appears that I am still doing something wrong.

1) I loaded the trial version of KooRaRoo and added my video folder

2) Tools -> Options -> Advanced and tick the "Load embedded subtitles from video files" box

3) Devices -> LG TV -> Edit -> Subtitles Tab -> tick "Enable Burned-In Subtitles" box

4) Devices -> LG TV -> Edit -> Subtitles Tab -> Subtitle Language Priority: eng

5) Devices -> LG TV -> Edit -> Transcoding Tab -> Audio Stream Language Priority: jpn,eng

6) Right-click on the video in KRR and use Reload -> Subtitles

After doing these steps, I am still not seeing subtitles on the video I posted above. Additionally, that file now only plays on my TV for about 30 seconds and then exits back to the folder menu even though the run time still shows the correct 24 minutes on the TV's progress bar. Also, I can no longer skip forward or backward as a message appears on the TV saying "This function is not currently available." When I view the file's properties in KooRaRoo, it now shows that the file being transcoded: mpegts_h264 h264_level41high:0 ac3:2

I made a second version of the same file but stripped out all the language audio tracks except for Japanese and that file does play longer than 30 seconds (I only tested up to a few minutes) but the run time on the TV's progress display shows 18 hours. This second file also shows transcoding in KooRarRoo and the TV cannot skip forward or back.

I then created one more copy of the original file but this time left only the Japanese audio track and the English subtitles and this file shows no transcoding, shows the correct run time on the TV's progress bar, can skip forward and back on the TV but still no subtitles.

Do you any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Dennis
August 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
It could be that burning of the subtitle fails for some reason or something else is wrong there.

I'll need to see logs to understand this better, so can you please do this:

1) enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu
2) restart the server using the stop/start button on the toolbar
3) double-click on the file in KRR, go to Transcoding tab and delete all entries there
4) try playing it again on the TV and once it fails, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll investigate

To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

Option
August 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
I sent you the logs a few minutes ago but I have a quick update. I tried to play the file again and the file now shows a run time of 18 hours on the TV's progress bar. Not sure how that happened...

Dennis
August 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Thank you for logs - I'll get back to you via e-mail after going through them.