PDA

View Full Version : Samsung question

tboulter
December 29th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Hello. First let me say I love this software! I was fortunate enough to get it under the Giveaway of the day promo, and finally purchased a registered copy last night because it has worked so well. I have been using these type servers/devices since I first purchased my AvelLinkplayer2's years ago...I have tried Serviio, Allshare, and so many others since moving to true Dnla boxes, and this has been the BEST experience so far in server products! I run a 10Tb Raid array off my Dnla server, via USB3, (AMS Venus box), and have had no issues with timing, drop-outs, etc that I used to experience with Serviio and the like. I have turned on quite a few friends who mess around with this stuff also to your product...it is really that good! :-)
Now to my question: my main box is a Samsung BD-C5500. It has worked flawlessly, and I find it has to transcode from my server very little. It has been great. For Xmas I bought my kids each the newer model (BD-D5700), and I find it has to do much more transcoding...specifically on MP2 and MKV files from the server, and of course my experience has been until you get a file transcoded to at least 11 percent, the samsung boxes will not pick it up and play at all (unsupported media file error). I have updated the firmware to the latest versions.
I figure its probably a Samsung question, and possibly a limitation on the differing boxes, but I thought I would post the question here first to see if anyone else had experienced this, and if there were any switches in Kooraroo that might make my life a bit easier...and also is there a way to bulk-transcode ahead of time a particular subdirectory?
Or, a recommendation on a product that will bulk-convert an entire subdirectory to another video file format/aspect that is compatible? As long term that might be the best solution.
The problem being that while transcoding, the processor utilization on the server goes through the roof as expected...so that affects every other box in the house from streaming reliably while one person is watching a file that is being transcoded and streamed at the time.

Dennis
December 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hello.

I am glad you like KooRaRoo - thank you for positive feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

Are the D5700 units using the BDP C/D/E device profile? If they are and you turn transcoding off, do those MPEG2 and MKV files play natively or do they fail to play without trancoding? If they play natively, then we need to adjust the device profile to let them pass through. In this case, can you please right-click on some of those files in KRR and send me the output of the "File Information" command.

You can pre-transcode files by selecting them in the GUI, then right-click and select "Transcode". In the dialog that comes up select your device and click OK to start.

tboulter
December 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Yes they are using the profile, and no: those files fail on the D5700 units natively, but play on the C5500 unit.
Ill take a look at the transcoding function you mentioned later tonight though - I almost hate to transcode them ahead of time because the 5500 unit then will use them being the same profile, but I guess it may be the best option for being able to use all the units. I set aside a separate HDD just for transcoded files, so at least I wont have duplicate copies on my main storage unit. Ill also look at the specifics of the files (type/codec/aspect/ etc) and provide that info if it might help with the troubleshooting. My gut says Samsung made a change in the units, possibly in the processor, that is just enough different that it doesnt handle certain file types natively between the different models.

Dennis
December 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Ok, sounds like a new device profile is needed then. Can you please e-mail support (at) kooraroo (dot) com with file information for some of those files and I'll send you something to try.

Was the unit auto-detected or did you select it manually (device profile that is)?

tboulter
December 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Unit was auto-detected. Give me a day or so to get back to you with the file info...thx for the response though.

Dennis
December 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Yep, no problem, we'll sort it out when you have time.