PDA

View Full Version : "Update Folder" hung - now status is messed up.

Dano
December 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have a large music library. After doing a number of tag updates, I selected "Update Folder" to have KRR refresh it's DB. It ran for a while counting files and then processing them, but then hung (UI was not updating) with 49,410 files left. I stopped the server and unloaded the UI (which took a long time) and eventually rebooted the server.

Now when I start the KRR server it still shows that the files are "processing" and that there are 49,410 left. It is not changing the count.

I removed my music library from KRR hoping that would cause it to reset the status, but it still shows that it is processing.

Help?

Dano
December 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
OK, so I now realize that the media server has to be running in order for the files to be processed. I don't know why it "hung" in the first place, but my stopping the server was probably the wrong step. This is slightly confusing because when I added the folder the server wasn't running, however it added and processed all the files, so I assumed the update happened in the UI as well and didn't require the server.

It is now processing the files, and since I have removed the library, I assume it will not really do much. When it is done I will perform "Maintenence" to compress the KRR DB and then re-add the library.

Dennis
December 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Actually it does not matter if the server is running or not during adding or updating folders/files. What happens when it's running is that the server will split tasks with the GUI in processing your folders, so if there is a lot to go, it may take a while to get through them all initially. Typically, if you are only doing add/delete (and not "update existing items") it should finish within a couple of minutes at most.

When you tried to stop the server, it had to finish the queue of items it already started, so it may have appeared to be hung, while it was actually cleaning up.

I hope this makes sense, but if you need more clarification from me, please let me know.

Dano
December 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM
What you are saying make sense, it just doesn't seem to be what I am seeing. It processed the file list down to about 6,400 and "hung" again. I waited about 30 minutes and the status didn't update. I stopped the server (which took about 10 minutes) and then "exited" the UI (which took about 20 minutes).

I then started the UI again. It still showed 6,400 left to go. I waited about 15 minutes and the status didn't change. I then started the server and the processing started up again.

It didn't take too long for it to work down to 13 files left, and it "hung" again.

Dennis
December 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yes, that's certainly much longer than it should be (I'd allow 1-2 minutes, but anything over that is too long).

It's possible that it hangs on a certain file and just can't get past that. Can you please enable logging (tick the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu), then restart the GUI (keep the server stopped to make it easier to diagnose). After that start updating again and once it hangs for a while, kill the process in Task Manager and send in the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com. To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder. Perhaps we can uncover a file that causes this.

Dano
December 29th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Dennis,

I would be happy to turn on logging, however it will be a little while before I can do it. As it stands now, I have successfully re-added the library and everything is back the way I wanted it. The whole reason I went through this was to get my library in order so I could test KRR the way I would use it.

I will undoubtedly update more tags as I come across more inconsistencies and ultimately do another manual "Update Folder". When I do so, I will enable logging and try to reproduce the issue.

Thanks for your attention to this.

Dan

Dennis
December 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Dan,

Ok, great, hopefully we'll uncover the reason for this.