PDA

View Full Version : Watch and auto update/add media from folders

xineohp
December 27th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Hi Dennis,

Is there a way I can choose to have Kooraroo auto update a particular folder I added from drive so that the new files in the directory are present in the catalog?
I guess this is quite a common scenario when I add a 'Downloads' folder and then have to launch Kooraroo and manually ask the folder to the updated at the moment.

Cheers,
xineohp

Dennis
December 27th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Yes, you can have KRR update the folder automatically at a certain interval - this is available under the folder/playlist properties. For frequently changing folders, it's a good idea to have a short interval (e.g. every 10-15 minutes) and then for folders that don't change often, make the interval longer or don't update at all.

xineohp
December 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks, do I need to have the GUI up and running for the update to happen or is it enough to set the property once when adding the folder and then the update happens in the background (The server is running without the GUI being launched anyway?)

Dennis
December 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM
The GUI does not need to be running - the server will update the folders on its own. So, yes - set and forget :)

geronimo
January 12th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I'm not a programer, but don't Windows have some sort of a service that lets you know when content of certain directory changes?

Quick search found this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365261(v=vs.85).aspx

As a user I preffer if new files just show up right away.

Dennis
January 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Yes, it does, but the reason this is not done at the moment is because if you have thousands of folders, watching them all in real-time would be a big memory and CPU hog (you can't watch just the root folder, you have to watch each subfolder separately). This is a planned feature though, so it will complement the current system allowing you to watch some of the folders in real-time and some to be updated at a regular interval. It's coming soon.

geronimo
January 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
According to above link and this one http://www.relisoft.com/win32/watcher.html you can watch directory trees, so something like this

dwChangeHandles[1] = FindFirstChangeNotification(
lpDrive, // directory to watch
TRUE, // watch the subtree
FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_DIR_NAME|FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_FIL E_NAME); // watch dir name changes, watch file name changes

would give you notifications about new directories/files in a directory tree.

Or are you saying some users add thousands of different directories to "My folders"?

Dennis
January 13th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Hmm, interesting - for some reason I was almost certain that FindFirstChangeNotification doesn't watch subfolders, but I think I'm proven wrong :) Thank you for pointing this out and I'll add this in, probably to the next version - 1.4.1 (since 1.4.0 was just released).

Some users do have hundreds of subfolders in the root, but with proper handling it should all work fine.

If you'd like to try a pre-release patch with this implemented, please send an e-mail to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll send you a patch once it's ready.

ZFS
February 8th, 2013, 06:18 PM
According to above link and this one http://www.relisoft.com/win32/watcher.html you can watch directory trees, so something like this

dwChangeHandles[1] = FindFirstChangeNotification(
lpDrive, // directory to watch
TRUE, // watch the subtree
FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_DIR_NAME|FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_FIL E_NAME); // watch dir name changes, watch file name changes

would give you notifications about new directories/files in a directory tree.

Or are you saying some users add thousands of different directories to "My folders"?
It seems like a really nice solution but be aware ! :) These very old APIs contains several bugs, they are not as efficient, powerful and stable as kqueue under *BSD or iNotify under Linux. High level programming langages (C++, C#, Java) are especially affected, look at "FileSystemWatcher" from your favorite search engine, you will get tons of strange behaviour and bugs reported from C++ and C# classes using these API and related COM objects. By far, the better way to do such thing under Windows is to implement your own top level kernel filesystem filter driver. A new API set have been introduced to do so with W8, you should check this too (i cannot remember their name sorry), but this new API requires at least W8 of course :)

Dennis chosen a better way by checking for changes on a regular basis. Windows filewatches can produce very strange results depending on the filesystem filter drivers installed on the computer, because the way the system is implemented. (And because many drivers do not care about this, returning bad values)

Dennis
February 8th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the information. KooRaRoo allows both now (real-time and the previous way to check at regular intervals), so it should work for all now, hopefully :)

carrisi
March 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Dennis,

Iīve a a problem with streaming for weeks and today I found KooRaRoo and it seems to be perfect for my request. But at the moment it doesnīt work as I wish.

I want to watch football livestreams. They are embedded within websites and I use "Replay Media Catcher" to found the hidden link and for downloading the stream as .flv to my PC.
The Problem is, that - because RMC is still downloading - the file gets bigger and bigger. Letīs better say the problem is that the video is changing at anytime.
When I start to stream via KRR everything is fine, but after a short time, the stream ends. I think the problem is, that KRR only streams the video as it was at the time when I started the stream (and do not stream the rest which has been downloaded during I stream the video).

First of all I thought I can solve the issue when I activate "Auto-Refresh" in 1-minute intervals. But it doesnīt work :-(

Do you have any idea?

I think I have to use RMC because the video seems to have an rtmp-link. Maybe there is a solution without RMC and directly via KRR.

Looking forward to your answer. Btw: GREAT tool :-) Started today with the trial-phase but when I can solve my issue I will definitely buy it :-)

Bye,
Andreas

Dennis
March 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Hi Andreas,

I'm glad you like KooRaRoo - thank you!

Can you please tell me which device you are streaming to? Also, if you check the Devices panes, what is the device profile used for your device? I need to know this to determine whether the FLV files are being streamed to your device natively or transcoded.

Refreshing the folder won't help - what may help is if we force transcoding of these FLVs and see if the device can handle a growing size (depends on the device and device profile).

In the future yes, KRR will allow streaming online video directly (at the moment only online audio is supported).

carrisi
March 17th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Iīm using a TV named "Philips 4000 series Smart LED-Fernseher 47PFL4307K 119 cm (47'') Easy 3D DVB-T/C/S2 mit Pixel Plus HD".

Now I also found out some strange things.
Sometimes KRR seems to transcode, sometimes not. What I mean is that when I start streaming - it seems also to transcode.
After some time it does not transcode anymore, but KRR streams. And even some time later, the stream finishes.

Additionally, it seems ok when I do a manual refresh. But only for some time.
For example. Before I started a video which has been downloaded for 1 minute. I did manual refreshes during the stream and if Iīm not wrong it streamed far more than 1 minute!! But after a few minutes it stopped immediately (although i did manual refreshes every minute!).

Basically my TV does not support flv videos. So I have to transcode them to mpeg. But obviously KRR does it automatically, because otherwise it should not be possible to start the video!

do you need further information?

Dennis
March 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks for clarifying that.

At the moment there is no dedicated device profile for the 4000-series TVs, so I wonder which one is selected...

I think it'll be best if we proceed with some logs, so that I could see the whole situation better. Please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server using the stop/start button on the toolbar and try streaming one of those FLVs until it stops. Once it stops, stop the server and send the logs through http://support.kooraroo.com

Once I get the logs, I'll check what's happening and we can work out a solution for this.

carrisi
March 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
thank you sooooo much :D

I did it, but where do I find the log files?

I tried it 2 times. During the first stream, my RMC finished the download when I started streaming!
At the 2nd try, RMC works perfectly. But I think you are right. The Video was about 2:50 min long when I started to stream. After a while transcoding finished, but streaming was still in progress. I tried to manually refresh the folder. It worked, but after 2:50 the stream also finished...

Dennis
March 17th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Sorry, I was just about to type where to find the logs :) To find the logs, please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

carrisi
March 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
thanks! sent you an email with the log files. the name:"Live Streaming with Philips TV"

Dennis
March 17th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Ok, great! I'll get back to you via e-mail after going through the logs.