PDA

View Full Version : Just not quite understanding transcoding

Brevoort
December 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I've read the documentation, the FAQ, the Help file, and most of this forum but there is something obvious about transcoding that I am not grasping.

My understanding is that after I have added a file to KooRaRoo I need to convert (transcode?) it to play on a device.

But how do I know what device to choose? In my WiFi network I have something like 11 different playback devices ranging from other computers and tablets to television and Blu-Ray players. Many are so cryptically named I have no idea what or where they might be. At least three are labeled somewhere (default).

I have been able to more or less randomly guess and successfully have a video played but that does not seem to be satisfactory.

So far I have only used KooRaRoo over my network with one particular TV setup. But what do I do if I want to play part of a video on one machine, pick it up later on another, and perhaps finish on a third? Do I have to re-transcode for each one?

I feel like I am missing something very obvious

Rick

Dennis
December 12th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Rick,

Many devices can be auto-detected by KooRaRoo, but for the rest, you'll need to double-click on them in the Devices pane and select a corresponding profile. If your devices don't have a profile or you are not sure which one to pick, just let me know what you have (makes and models) and I'll see what suits best or create new profiles.

Device profiles are used to decide which files are transcoded and to what format.

Typically, you don't need to manually transcode files.

What you do is start playing a file on a device and it will be automatically transcoded (if needs to be - this is based on the chosen device profile, so it's important to pick the correct ones to ensure the best possible experience). Depending on your device, this can mean that most files be passed through (if a device supports many formats) or most files will be transcoded (if a device does not support many formats).

When you try to play a file on a different device, if the device profile is compatible with how it was already transcoded, then it won't be re-transcoded, thus saving you space and time.

Regarding starting playback on one device and finishing on another - this is not really possible, because each device keeps its own track of progress.

Brevoort
December 13th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks Dennis, that helped quite a bit. Appreciated.

Rick