PDA

View Full Version : Where to put external SRT subtitle files?

anontemp123
December 6th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Unfortunately, KooRaRoo is not serving up my srt files:

2012-12-05T15:20:02.091-05:00 [CDBMediaServerDelegate::ProcessFileRequest] (4064) INFO: Url: http://192.168.0.106:53180/0I27I32I1I14?sub=temp.srt, path: 0I27I32I1I14
2012-12-05T15:20:02.091-05:00 [PLT_HttpHelper::ToLog] (4064) INFO: Responding with:
HTTP/1.1 404 File Not Found
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 20:20:02 GMT

Is there a special folder to place the srt files in? It definitely knows the srt file is there because if I delete the srt file from disk, delete and re-add my folder from the KooKaRoo GUI, then the server log shows that KooKaRoo won't even tell the DLNA client that an srt file is available, and therefore the DLNA client won't even send a request for it.

Dennis
December 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM
The SRT (and other external subtitle files) should be either in the same folder as the movie file or in a folder set via the Options -> File Locations -> Subtitles folder. It should be named exactly the same as the movie file.

Where is the "temp.srt" file located in the log example above?

anontemp123
December 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Where is the "temp.srt" file located in the log example above?

The video file is named "temp.avi" and the "temp.srt" file is located in the same folder as the video file.

As I mentioned, when KooRaRoo generates its metadata, it definitely sees that temp.srt exists as a subtitle file. This is evident from the log. If I delete temp.srt from disk, then delete and re-add temp.avi from KooRaRoo's media library, KooRaRoo's server log won't even show any requests for temp.srt from the DLNA client.

Here's my best guess: The code that generates the media library's metadata does check in the same folder as the video file for a .srt file. This is why KooRaRoo will inform the DLNA client that a subtitle file is available. However, when the client then requests this subtitle file, the code that actually serves the .srt file is either (a) looking only in the Subtitles folder, or (b) getting confused because I have no Subtitles folder specified (so it never gets to the point where it can check the same folder as the video file.)

I'll try and check these theories later today. Thanks for the reply.

Dennis
December 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The subtitles folder in Options is empty by default, so KRR shouldn't be looking there (and shouldn't be confused that it's empty). Can you please also check the file permissions on test.srt, just to make sure it doesn't have any restrictions (e.g. limited to a certain user).

If you are comfortable with looking at databases, you could check the KooRaRooMediaMain.krrx file (it's an SQLite database, the location can be found by going to Tools -> Options -> File Locations -> Databases) and check the stored path for the SRT file, perhaps something is wrong there... Alternatively, please send that file to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll check it. Please let me know either way.

anontemp123
December 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've tried every combination, leaving the subtitles folder empty, specifying a subtitles folder, placing the subtitle file in the same folder as the video file and in the subtitles folder simultaneously, making sure everything is on the C:\ drive, etc. and nothing seems to work. I checked the SQLite database and the Files table lists only the temp.avi file and the ExternalFilestoFile table lists the temp.srt file. The path is correct.

I diagnosed further with ProcessMonitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

KooRaRoo's GUI definitely checks temp.srt exists when I add temp.avi to the media library. Oddly, when adding temp.avi to the media library, KooRaRoo will also check for <PathToSubtitlesFolder>\.srt -- yes, exactly the file ".srt" (just the extension, no base filename) in the subtitles folder. Not sure what's going on with that.

When KooRaRoo receives a request from the DLNA client for temp.srt, though, it won't even look for a srt file on the filesystem anywhere. The "File Not Found" response seems to be returned before KooRaRoo even accesses the filesystem; somewhere before that would happen KooRaRoo is deciding that the request is for a nonexistent file. Maybe the DLNA client is sending a malformed request? Via the log file, I've copied and pasted into my browser the URL KooRaRoo outputs to XML. Same 404 error. Could you provide some guidance on how to diagnose this further?

Dennis
December 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for picking up the problem with the subtitles folder - I've now fixed it and a patch is available. I also think I know what the problem with the subtitles could be and perhaps the patch will fix it as well.

Please send an e-mail to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com and I'll send you the patch to try.

anontemp123
December 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I sent an email to support. Do I need to login to the support system to proceed?

Dennis
December 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I sent an email to support. Do I need to login to the support system to proceed?

Thanks - I've received it and uploading the patch right now. I'll let you know once it's ready for download.

The system works both ways - through e-mail or through the online support portal, so whichever way you choose is fine.

anontemp123
December 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
The patch seems to fix the problem. With some formats/resolutions, my DLNA client won't send a request for the SRT file even though I can see KooRaRoo has informed the client the SRT file is available. That is likely an issue with my DLNA client. I'll report back after further testing.

Dennis
December 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Great, thanks for letting me know! Which device are you using, perhaps I can do some testing as well?

anontemp123
December 8th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I am using an LG TV, model LE5400 series.

Dennis
December 8th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I am using an LG TV, model LE5400 series.

Yes, it's possible that it doesn't support SRTs for some file types. I have a similar TV and can test - which file types exhibit this behavior?

anontemp123
December 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I can't get external subtitles to work on this set when viewing 480p/H264/Matroska video. In such a case, the TV won't even request the SRT file from KooRaRoo. It seems like an issue with the TV firmware. I don't know how to test it any further.

Otherwise, the patch seems to have solved my issues. I am running KooRaRoo on XP SP2, btw. I tested with different types of file containers, codecs, resolutions, and bitrates, and also placed file on different drive letters.

Dennis
December 8th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the file info - I'll test MKV here with external subtitles on an LG TV and see what happens. I know some other devices only request external subtitles for certain file types, so perhaps it's a similar case here.

This will be solved when burned-in subtitles are fully finished and released, albeit it's not as nice of course, because the file needs to be transcoded.

anontemp123
December 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
The really strange thing is, the TV firmware won't request external subtitles for 480p MKVs, but it will for 720p MKVs !!?

Dennis
December 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM
The really strange thing is, the TV firmware won't request external subtitles for 480p MKVs, but it will for 720p MKVs !!?
Perhaps the video codecs are different inside. Can you please right-click on both of those files and post the output of the "File Information" command?

anontemp123
December 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Video, DB: 4, Thumb: 67
S [h264, 28], bitrate: 0, framerate: 23.98, level: 41, profile: 100, flags: 0x0, flags2: 0x0
Duration: 00:21:35.84, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4474 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 448 kb/s (default)

Video, DB: 3, Thumb: 66
S [h264, 28], bitrate: 0, framerate: 23.98, level: 31, profile: 100, flags: 0x0, flags2: 0x0
Duration: 00:21:30.33, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 654 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default) (forced)
Stream #0:1(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 852x480, SAR 1:1 DAR 71:40, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)

Dennis
December 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Looks like both of those should be sent through natively (unless the profile levels are out of bounds - these are shown on the first line in the File Information output and I need to see them as well, thanks).

I'll try find some similar files here and test. Alternatively, if you could send me a copy of your files, that would help with testing as well (through Dropbox or any other site).

anontemp123
December 11th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I have transcoding turned off so both are sent through natively. I've updated the File Information in my previous post.

anontemp123
December 11th, 2012, 09:11 AM
What I'm planning to do is transcode a 480p file with KRR, then rename the transcoded file to .mpg, add that file to KRR, and see if the TV will show external subtitles with that.

For any other LG LE5400 users out there using KRR, this is pretty much what I do with MKV files that have ssa subtitles embedded. The LG LE5400 series won't display ssa subtitles and/or won't display embedded subtitles. Not only that, but if I transcode and preserve (copy) embedded ssa subtitles, the TV crashes and reboots. So I manually transcode the MKV omitting subtitles, rename the transcoded file's extension to .mpg, extract the ssa stream to a .ssa file using mkvextract, convert the .ssa file to .srt using SubtitleEdit, re-adjust subtitle timings using SubtitleEdit, place the .srt in the same folder as the .mpg, and add the .mpg to KRR.

Dennis
December 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
What I'm planning to do is transcode a 480p file with KRR, then rename the transcoded file to .mpg, add that file to KRR, and see if the TV will show external subtitles with that.

It's an interesting experiment - please let me know how it goes.

For any other LG LE5400 users out there using KRR, this is pretty much what I do with MKV files that have ssa subtitles embedded. The LG LE5400 series won't display ssa subtitles and/or won't display embedded subtitles. Not only that, but if I transcode and preserve (copy) embedded ssa subtitles, the TV crashes and reboots. So I manually transcode the MKV omitting subtitles, rename the transcoded file's extension to .mpg, extract the ssa stream to a .ssa file using mkvextract, convert the .ssa file to .srt using SubtitleEdit, re-adjust subtitle timings using SubtitleEdit, place the .srt in the same folder as the .mpg, and add the .mpg to KRR.

Once KRR's subtitle engine is released, at least half of those tasks should be automated (or even the whole process) :)

mijan
December 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
hello,

I saw the "advertising" over at makeuseof and thought to give this dlna server a try. I have been trying for 2 weeks all sorts of dlna, xbmc, plex, windows, ubuntu etc. and the reason I've tried so many is because of the subtitles.

Well now I'm trying KRR and of course the subs aren't working, I realized now that the problem is for sure my new TV.

Some info:
I have a win7 home premium machine running KRR and streaming through a router via Ethernet cable to a LG 32LS5600-ZC.
I really enjoy the KRR looks and love the fact that it runs on low resource.

If you need any type of help on testing with my TV I could gladly help you, also I could help with translating your software in Romanian.

I know there is a lot off-topic in my reply, but I sure be glad to hear some news about the subtitles.

Dennis
December 15th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hello,

Streaming of external subtitles for LG TVs is now fixed (an official update is coming out soon, but feel free to e-mail support (at) kooraroo (dot) com for a patch before that). If you are interested in burned-in subtitles, then yes as well - that's coming soon :)

Thank you for the offer to translate KRR to Romanian - if you e-mail support, I'll send you the necessary files.

mijan
December 19th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Hello,

Streaming of external subtitles for LG TVs is now fixed (an official update is coming out soon, but feel free to e-mail support (at) kooraroo (dot) com for a patch before that). If you are interested in burned-in subtitles, then yes as well - that's coming soon :)

Thank you for the offer to translate KRR to Romanian - if you e-mail support, I'll send you the necessary files.

Hey again and thank you for the patch it works great. But I now have another problem:

Struggling before with the subs I've set a from Option>File Locations>Subtitles a folder. I understand from the FAQ that by default KRR looks for subs with same name as file in same folder with the media that I want to play. The thing is I can't delete the path to that folder and I can only set a new one.

http://i.imgur.com/9vssS.png
And another question: Do I need to restart KRR every time I add new subs to the folder? This what I'm doing now but it doesn't all the time with the first restart.

Dennis
December 19th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Struggling before with the subs I've set a from Option>File Locations>Subtitles a folder. I understand from the FAQ that by default KRR looks for subs with same name as file in same folder with the media that I want to play. The thing is I can't delete the path to that folder and I can only set a new one.

Thanks for pointing that out - it's fixed for the upcoming update.

And another question: Do I need to restart KRR every time I add new subs to the folder? This what I'm doing now but it doesn't all the time with the first restart.
No, you don't need to restart KRR (in fact, it won't help). What you need to do is right-click on that folder and select "Update Folder" - once that finishes, your subs will be in.