PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding Profiles

xineohp
November 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi,

Just downloaded KooRaRoo to try out and it worked fine for me with my Panasonic ST50 TV.
However, I was wondering if I could suggest a feature which I believe might be useful to others too.

Can we have automatic transcoding profiles based on the device on which I am playing - and can we create this profiles.
For example, I have a video with a DTS audio stream which my TV/AVR can't play - so I would like to convert it to AC3 maybe which is supported by my setup.

Thanks.

Dennis
November 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I'm glad that KooRaRoo works well for you - thanks!

It already has transcoding profiles - we call them device definitions and they define formats that a device supports (the rest are transcoded to one of the formats supported by the device). To set the device profile, please go to the Devices pane, double-click on your device there to bring up the properties and you'll be able to set a device profile for your TV (if it hasn't been auto-detected).

Can you please tell me which device profile you had set there (either via auto-detection or manually) and also right-click on the file you have with DTS audio and post the output of the "File Information" command and I'll check why it's not being transcoded. Perhaps an incorrect device profile is used or perhaps we need to adjust our device profiles.

xineohp
November 26th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Hi,

I'm glad that KooRaRoo works well for you - thanks!

It already has transcoding profiles - we call them device definitions and they define formats that a device supports (the rest are transcoded to one of the formats supported by the device). To set the device profile, please go to the Devices pane, double-click on your device there to bring up the properties and you'll be able to set a device profile for your TV (if it hasn't been auto-detected).

Can you please tell me which device profile you had set there (either via auto-detection or manually) and also right-click on the file you have with DTS audio and post the output of the "File Information" command and I'll check why it's not being transcoded. Perhaps an incorrect device profile is used or perhaps we need to adjust our device profiles.

Dennis, I meant it might be a nice power-user feature to give the user the ability to select the exact specifics of the Transcoding for each Device Profile. The profile is detected for my TV is the 2011 Panasonic ST/VT Series profile which works fine.
Infact, I re-tested, and it did transcode the DTS to AC3. Once again, really impressed :)

Also, a question, does the DLNA protocol specify the device capabilities during the handshake? Or how do you know what profiles to use during transcoding?

Thanks again.

Dennis
November 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Ok, I understand :) Device profiles can be edited (it's just an XML file), so it's possible to create new or alter existing devices. The device profile file is located in the databases folder (to find out where it is, go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Databases folder) and it's called KooRaRooDevices.krrx. It's possible to override the default transcoding logic by editing the profile - if you are interested in doing this, please let me know and I can tell you a bit more about it.

The DLNA protocol does provide a way to query the device for what it supports, but unfortunately many devices do not implement this and even if they do, the list they return may not be an exact match of their capabilities. The device profiles are built based on experience, technical information and user feedback, so that they reflect the real capabilities of the device.

Some devices can be auto-detected (like your TV, for example), but some cannot be. Transcoding choices are based on the device profile, so when it's not auto-detected, it's important to select the right one for best possible experience.

xineohp
December 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM
The comments in the KooRaRooDevices.krrx file were quite self explanatory. I could get it to transcode DTS to AC3 and do what I wanted. Thanks for the hints.
It might be a feature for you to consider - a UI to make the default profile per device editable.

Dennis
December 1st, 2012, 07:39 AM
The comments in the KooRaRooDevices.krrx file were quite self explanatory. I could get it to transcode DTS to AC3 and do what I wanted. Thanks for the hints.
Great!

Can you please post your changes, so that they could be integrated into the official profile, or are they specific to your system setup?

It might be a feature for you to consider - a UI to make the default profile per device editable.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll certainly consider this for a future version.

xineohp
December 27th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Great!

Can you please post your changes, so that they could be integrated into the official profile, or are they specific to your system setup?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll certainly consider this for a future version.

The changes were system specific - basically I have a HT connected to the TV that doesn't support DTS so I needed to force KMS to transcode to AC3 :)