PDA

View Full Version : Recommended PC Specifications

walkerct
October 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Please provide recommended PC specs. (CPU/RAM/etc...) to support transcoding on the fly.

Dennis
October 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the question. I've been meaning to provide CPU specs on the site and I will do that soon.

For on-the-fly transcoding of 720p and below you can use a dual-core 3Ghz CPU with 2GBs of RAM (provided nothing else is really running on that machine). A quad-core CPU would be better of course. For 1080p, you'd need an i5 or i7 with 4GBs of RAM. A quad-core may also work, but it depends on the specific CPU make and model. Typically Intel-based processors work a little bit better (faster).

The only other requirement is disk space. One high-def (1080p) movie can take up anywhere from 4 to 10 GBs after transcoding. You can limit the temporary transcoding folder size by both disk space used and age of files (see Tools -> Options -> Transcoding in KRR). If you have a NAS drive, I'd recommend not moving the transcoding folder there and to keep it on your local disk - this saves network bandwidth and ensures that files can be written and read at optimum speed.

Please let me know if you'd like to know more or have specific questions about your hardware.