PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instances of KRR GUI

sixeyes
October 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM
I run KRR on Windows Server 2003.

The main account is a limited account and logs in automatically. This account can be viewed on the TV.
I use remote desktop connection to run an administrator account (on Windows Server 2003 this leaves the main account unaffected, unlike the desktop OS) and this is the account used to install KRR.

Last night I tried to use KRR GUI in the limited account on the TV and got the error message "Failed to load device definitions!".

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Is it allowed to have the GUI running in the admin account and the limited account at the same time?

I've checked the profiles folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\KooRaRooMedia) and users have read permission, but not modify or write.

Iain

Dennis
October 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
Iain,

Is this with the latest beta or 1.3.0? Running multiple GUIs under the same user is not allowed, so if you try that, KRR should find its own window and simply bring it up. That error should not be related to multiple users though.

If you have logging enabled, please see if there are any errors in that (or send the log to the support e-mail), as that should help narrow it down. If you don't have logging enabled, let me know and I'll tell you how to enable it via the registry (this is different to enabling it via the normal menu item).

sixeyes
October 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
I running the latest beta v1.3.0.4.

Logging is enabled but since the limited account doesn't have write permission to the logs folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\KooRaRooMedia\Logs) I'm guessing that won't work.

Iain

Dennis
October 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yes, the limited account would need write permissions to that folder. It would also need permissions to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\KooRaRooMedia\" folder to run the GUI in the first place, otherwise it won't be able to open the DB successfully (since it needs to create temporary files, modify the DB, etc...)

sixeyes
October 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking the profiles were read only, so permissions were fine. But of course the database is updated. Added permissions for this folder and it's working now.

Iain

Dennis
October 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Great, glad it's working now!

sixeyes
October 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM
Spoke too soon. I'd shut down the KRR GUI in my admin account while trying to get KRR GUI running in the limited account.

Just tried running admin KRR GUI while limited account KRR GUI is running. Splash screen appears and KRR GUI momentarily appears before vanishing. A quick check of the KRR log shows the following:

2012-10-21T11:59:28.812Z [CThreadWatchMutex::CreateMutexW] (3316) SEVERE: Failed to CreateEvent: 5 (Global\KooRaRooMediaMutex_1_0)
2012-10-21T11:59:28.812Z [CKooRaRooMediaApp::InitInstance] (3316) SEVERE: Failed to start mutex watching thread!

So I guess only one version of the GUI can exist at once.

Iain

Dennis
October 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Yes, the mutex is global, so it'll detect the GUI for all users.

I suppose this could be relaxed if there's a need to run the GUI from multiple users on the same PC at the same time. I probably need a better error message in there for those who have logging disabled :)

sixeyes
October 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Better error message? This isn't one ATM. Would be really cool if you gave the option to kill the other instance :))

I'm not sure I need to run two at the same time, but it's remembering to shut it down in the other account...

Iain

Dennis
October 21st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yep, I agree that it would be cool to be able to shut down the second instance. I'll look into this.