PDA

View Full Version : Age ratings and Time play

Counterfitninja
October 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evening,

Would it be possible to no only allow certain films to play on a device but to also have a time limit. My 360 is in the living room and I don't want the Kids to see high violence or adult content movies, but I don't want to keep changing settings, so I was thinking of having a watershed mark that is configurable so that after that time all videos are displayed?

Dennis
October 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM
It's an interesting idea - thanks! I think it makes great sense and I'll add this in soon.

Counterfitninja
November 24th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Hi Dennis,

An additional though over this theme, is it possible to do the same thing but putting the restriction on a folder ? So for example the xbox would see all the children's movies through the day but would not show the films with a more adult content till late in the day ?

Dennis
November 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hi,

Yes, it's possible to do this on a per-folder basis as well, but I'm not sure how it'll be different from just setting a global timed rating though (as it is now)? I mean, if you have your movies rated accordingly and then set the timed rated via the device properties dialog, it will show only children's movies in all folders. Do you want to override just one folder so that it's excluded from this, for example?

Counterfitninja
November 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Ah right, looks like I might have mis-understood the rating :-) Ill take a deeper look first ;-)

Dennis
November 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ah right, looks like I might have mis-understood the rating :-) Ill take a deeper look first ;-)

Just let me know if you have any questions on how it works and I'll be happy to explain them in more detail.

Counterfitninja
November 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Morning, So finally had a chance to play. I have the xbox set to pg-13 and the override set to r. However I don't see any videos at all on the xbox. I have check the pg-13 folder and there are films there.

If I turn off parental control the folders come back

Dennis
November 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM
The XBox doesn't display same folders as you see in KRR's GUI - it reformats them (for video) and displays a long list of files, but I assume you know that already :)

Can you please post a screenshot of your Xbox's Parental Controls tab?

Counterfitninja
December 7th, 2012, 07:49 AM
HI Dennis,

Just realised I had not sent this over. 12

Here are my settings, I can get a shot of what the xbos shows, but I was seeing nothing until I set both to off.

Dennis
December 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the screenshot, but I need the Parental Controls tab to see what's happening :)

Counterfitninja
December 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Right.. Serves me right for not actually checking the shot before posting, I would have swore this was the right one.. try this one

Dennis
December 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Ok, thank you for the screenshot :)

Is the folder that you are trying to access set to PG-13? If you right-click on the folder you are trying to access, what does the MPAA rating say? Or you can see the folder (is it a folder you created or added from disk or is it one of the pre-defined folders?), but can't see the actual files?

I suspect the easiest way to solve this is to inspect the logs, so please enable logging by ticking the Enable Logging item under the Tools menu. After that restart the server for the logging change to take effect. Then please browse to that folder on the Xbox and once no files come up, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) kooraroo (dot) com. To find out where logs are, go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Logs folder.

Counterfitninja
December 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not near the XBOX to test anything further however I don't have a setting on the folder itself but I have ratings on all the files within the folder.

Your initial comments suggested it would just let movies of a certain rating be shown then at a certain time files with a higher rating would be shown. My xbox does not show anything at all with the settings on the screen shot, and nothing set in the folder properties. Does the rating on the folder need to be set as well as having rating on the files and the rating limit on the xbox?

Dennis
December 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
If the setting of the folder is higher than PG-13, then the folder actually shouldn't appear at all. However, the Xbox (and Windows Media Player) are a bit quirky when it comes to DLNA, so they have their own ways of getting folders/files. They should still not be able to get around the parental controls, but the logs would show me the exact reason why your files are not coming up.

I'll do some testing here as well with the Xbox and let you know here (or through the support, if you submit a ticket) how it goes. Ideally, though, I'd need to know the parental setting of your folder and of the files (at least one) in that folder, because they can be different and perhaps you've found some issue where it falls apart :) I'm sure I'll be able to fix it up quickly once I get either your logs or I'm able to reproduce this here.

Dennis
December 8th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I think I found the problem - I'll send you a patch through support to try.