PDA

View Full Version : iPad Remote

Dubinvero
July 12th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Dennis,

I do not see a KooRaRoo Remote App for the iPad. Do you have any plans to develop one? Am I correct that today if I am away from my desktop that I cannot control KRR?

As a workaround, I am using the iPad App Splashtop 2 to control KRR remotely. It is not ideal because the KRR control Panel is too busy for the Ipad screen.

Thanks

Derek

Dennis
July 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Derek,

Any DMC (controller) app can control the KRR server and thus there are no immediate plans to develop something of our own at the moment. For example, Pixel DMC and such. Using Splashtop is another way of doing this, but yes, I would imagine it's far from ideal. I'd recommend trying some of the "DLNA DMC" apps available through AppStore (most of them should be free) and they all should work with KRR.

Please let me know what you find.

mskovgaard
December 2nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I tried the app that came with my Philips TV but when I play videos through this the burnt-in subtitles don't work. Has anyone had better luck with other apps?

/M

Dennis
December 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hi,

Do you have burned-in subtitles enabled for the app's IP/MAC address in KooRaRoo's Devices pane? Can you please tell me which app you are using?

mskovgaard
December 2nd, 2013, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I use an app named Philips MyRemote (https://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/philips-myremote/id426883783). I have the burned-in subtitles enabled in KooRaRoo and it Works fine if I start the play-back directly from the PC. (Requires quite a bit of CPU though. My normal HTPC couldn't keep up :-)).

/M

mskovgaard
December 3rd, 2013, 12:50 AM
Hi,

A Quick Update: I've tried with 2 more controllers and the result is the same. So something is different when you activate the stream from a controller rather Than KRR.

/M

Dennis
December 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Burned-in subtitles do require a full transcode as the subtitle has to be written into the actual video frame, so it does require a lot of CPU. Some Philips TVs support external subtitles actually - can you please tell me the model of your TV and I'll check, perhaps you don't need to burn them in?

With regards different behavior - most likely MyRemote is not set to use Philips' device profile in KRR. Please check the Devices pane and if it's not, set the Philips TV profile for the app (it will be coming in on your phone/tablets' IP/MAC).

mskovgaard
December 3rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I have 2 Philips TVs: 32PDL7906T and 32PFL6626T . It's the 32PDL7906T I've been testing on - I don't know if the other one supports UPNP...? I've tested many times with many different servers without burned-in subs and haven't been able to make it Work. So my (educated) guess is that it's necessary.

I did as you suggested and modified the profile for the iPad. That worked. The only thing is that from time to time the stream stutters - I'm pretty sure that this is due to the high CPU load caused by burning in the subs.

But it Works so thanks for the help!

/M

Dennis
December 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I'm glad that works! Stuttering could also mean a high bitrate if your wireless network is not at full strength.

Looking at the spec for 32PFL6626T, it should also support DLNA, so it should see KooRaRoo server and be able to stream files from KRR. It may not see a controller app though, since it doesn't appear to support renderer mode (it's not a DMR from what I can see).