PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding for two Xbox 360s

jetboy
July 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I have KooRaRoo running on a Windows 7 box, wirelessly streaming to two Xbox 360s. Unfortunately, some AVI files stutter badly on the two 360s (using either KooRaRoo or Windows Media Player) despite them not taxing either the host machine or the network. My fix for this has been to pre-transcode everything; even native files. This is the behaviour I believe I'm seeing with KooRaRoo. Is this accurate?

Pre-transcoding for Xbox 1 allows Xbox 1 to play the transcoded files, but Xbox 2 still plays the originals.
Subsequently, pre-transcoding for Xbox 2 overwrites the Xbox 1 files, but at the end, KooRaRoo has pointers for both Xbox 1 and Xbox 2 to the same place in the Windows file system.
If there are any problems with the transcoding (failed, aborted etc.), the transcoding files are still referenced in KooRaRoo, and the Xboxes try to play the broken transcoded ones, resulting in Xbox errors.

Obviously what I'd like is to only have to transcode once, and have the transcoded files play back on both Xboxes. Is there any way to do this currently?

Dennis
July 6th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Would it be possible to get one of those AVI files, so that I could test it here on the Xbox? Typically, you shouldn't need to pre-transcode them, but perhaps there is something common about those files that causes the Xbox to fail to play them correctly. Testing here will confirm (or deny) that and we can work out a solution.

If you have the Xbox device profile set for both of your Xboxes in KRR, then they should share the same transcoded files and KRR should not be transcoding twice. If the device profiles differ or some settings within device properties differ, then yes, it's possible that KRR will perform double transcoding. We can investigate this deeper through support, but as a first step, please confirm that both profiles are the same and that there are not differences in device properties for both Xboxes.

If there is a problem with transcoding, please double-click on the file in KRR, go to Transcoding tab and delete all entries there. Or, alternatively, manually transcode (pre-transcode) it again and the new copy should be used.

jetboy
July 6th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Hi,

The AVI stuttering problem isn't a KooRaRoo issue, as it happens streaming via Windows Media player too. Playing off a USB stick plugged into an Xbox works fine, with no stuttering. There are a lot of (non-KooRaRoo) threads around commenting that 360s tend to struggle with AVIs with a frame rate of 24FPS. All of these are very close to 24FPS. Whether or not that's the reason, I don't know. Happy to upload one if you can recreate the conditions.

Yes, both 360s are using the 360 profile, both with bitrate limited to 1,536 kbit/s, burned-in subtitles enabled and font size of 14px. However, I adjusted the bitrate limit on both profiles after the original transcoding (above the original bitrate of the AVIs in question). Would this be enough to force another transcode and create the behaviour above?

Dennis
July 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Thank you for the additional information. If the Xbox has issues playing AVIs at a certain frame rate, then we can get KRR to transcode only such AVIs and pass the rest through natively.

If you can upload one such file somewhere, it'd be great. Just send a link through http://support.kooraroo.com

If the adjusted bitrate is above that of the file, then it shouldn't be triggering transcoding. Of course the burned-in subtitles will trigger transcoding (if subs are available for those files). If the settings are identical for both of them though, the files should only be transcoded once.

To check that, I can take a look at the configuration that you have. Please go to Tools -> Options -> File Locations and click the Open button on the Databases folder. Then please send in your KooRaRooMediaConfig.krr file to support as well and I'll take a look.