PDA

View Full Version : iPad streaming and device profile

Robert Grant
July 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Hi Dennis. While I continue to explore KRR, I'm trying to figure out how best to connect to iPad devices. Some apps (e.g. Air Playit) allow connection to a video library and will convert, not remux, H264/DTS or H264/AC3 files to H264/AAC iPad compatible format. I'd prefer to connect somehow to KRR with an iPad device profile that allows remuxing, but I'm not sure how. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Dennis
July 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Robert,

There are three tested players (each with pros and cons): 08software 8player, Olimsoft AirPlayer and Persona media:connect. You'll need to select a corresponding device profile in KRR.

I'd recommend trying all three to see which works best for you. Please do let me know what you've tried and what works (and doesn't).

Robert Grant
July 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
After looking at these apps, I could only test the 08software in trial mode. This app does allow streaming from KRR remuxed transcodes; however, the video stream hangs and stutters every 15 seconds or so while audio plays cleanly. Not sure what the issue is. Mp4/AAC files stream well since iPad natively supports them. The Air Playit app also works quite well, but does not recognize KRR as a server.

Dennis
July 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
It may be that the video stream is 1080p and too large to handle on the device/player. Can you please tell me what the original is?

The Playit is not a DLNA client, as far as I know - it only works with its own server.

Robert Grant
July 8th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Well, it appears that resolution does affect playback performance using the 08software player app. The few videos I have in the 624x352 or 700x400 resolution with avi/mp3 codec do stream nicely. The others I have in mkv container are 1080 or 720p. I've tried limiting bit rate, but that does not seem to solve the problem. Perhaps there should be a resizing option in KRR. The Air Playit app offers this feature, but as you say it does not recognize the KRR server.

Dennis
July 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Sure - please contact me through support and I'll send you a patch with that.

Robert Grant
July 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Success! The latest patch you provided offers a resizing option in the device pane transcoding tab. This proved to be the solution for streaming to iPad 2 and iPad mini tablets. By converting 720p and 1080p videos to 640x480 H264/AAC codec, smooth streaming can finally be achieved with no jumps or skips.

After testing many apps, including those you suggested, I finally settled on Ace Player as the best upnp client for iOS devices. Fairly stable, full featured, and free, when used with the 08software player device profile, Ace Player does the job better than anything else tested.

Unfortunately, the resizing option converts everything sent to this device by KRR. Is there a way to have the profile convert only if resolution is 720p and above? Lower res and mp4/AAC files don't need conversion.

Again, thanks for this option. It certainly solves the problem for iOS that other upnp servers have not even approached. Bravo, Dennis. Just would like to tweak the resizing so that it applies only when necessary.

Dennis
July 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Robert, I'm glad it works - thank you for letting me know!

The reason why 720p files would be transcoded is because you set a maximum width of 480. What if you set it to 720? Do the files then stutter on the iPad?

I haven't heard of Ace Player before, but I'd be happy to add a device profile for it. Does the 8player profile work properly with it, that is, are there any tweaks needed in terms of format support?

Robert Grant
July 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, limiting width only to 720 allows all high res files to play smoothly. I'm still not sure about the low res files, though. Some glitchy GUI behavior may be occurring.

The 8playee profile works okay when set to h264/ AAC. I would prefer that to be the default setting for the Air Player profile. I do have an issue with multiple conversion choices for a single device. Once the user makes a selection, e.g. H264/AAC, this should become a default profile for that device. This does not seem to be the behavior with the 8player device. Constant resetting is needed to avoid using the mpeg container.

Dennis
July 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM
The lower res files should not be converted, if they are smaller than 720 pixels wide. If they are, please let me know (through support) and we'll sort it out. Please keep in mind that if you already converted a file to be smaller and haven't cleared the transcoding cache, that version will be used. To clear the cache, double-click on the file, go to Transcoding tab and delete all entries there.

I'll be happy to create a new Ace Player profile. Can you please send me a short log connecting to KRR from Ace, so that I could check if we can detect it. I'll then send you a new profile.

One way to change the default encoding format is to edit the device profiles file directly. I can tell you how to do that, if you'd like?

Robert Grant
July 11th, 2013, 04:23 AM
If ii understand you correctly, with just width ticked to 720 and height left unticked, no conversion should occur with smaller res files, e.g. 624x352. i believe this is the behavior.

Yes, please let me know how to edit device profiles to set the default codec. IPad supports embedded subtitles, so this feature should be retained with the Ace Player profile just as featured in 8player. Logs sent as requested.

Dennis
July 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, your understanding regarding dimensions is correct :)

I'll create a new profile for the Ace and go through the steps on setting/changing the default format through support e-mail with you.

Robert Grant
July 13th, 2013, 09:38 AM
With the custom device profile for the Ace Player media client app installed on iPad 2 and iPad mini, along with some tweaks I applied to the device profile myself, I'm now able to stream all my files to these iOS devices smoothly.

Here are the key steps:

1) add _720p extension to the H264_level51high codec within the matroska format.
2) make matroska default conversion choice.
3) tick 720 width limit on custom KRR GUI device edit.
4) use skip loop filter for sync in the Ace Player settings.

This should work well for anyone desiring to use KRR with iOS devices and resolves all issues with stuttering video. It allows streaming of all my various file types with no manual transcoding required. Most need conversion, but those 720 width and under do not.

Dennis
July 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Great, thank you for sharing that! I'll modify the stock Ace profile to reflect the changes you made.